NESSCC shoot at Dundee

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

NESSCC shoot at Dundee

#1 Post by Mike357 »

Second last North East Scotland Shooting Sports Club Competition at Dundee's range today. First thing was the weather. It p*** with rain all night and then on and off all day. Our range has a drainage problem and there was a river flowing out the gate. Also, the local 4x4 club were there churning up the roads...great. The good news is that I shoot well in the rain.

The 44 Marlin still has iron sights pending the fitting of a scope. I need to aim left about 2" of the X Ring which makes matters more tricky especially as I cant see the rings at 25 yds. I'm also using someone elses ammo. Despite this I shot a personal best of 298 with19xs. That is two off a maximum score. Really chuffed.

The second course of fire I think was mis-scored and I wandered off before the scoring was finished so got a 290 with xs. I think it should have been 295. Another personal best though.

The team comp comprises the top 3 scores and I made the team and we came second behind Aberdeen. They had a perfect 900 whilst DRPC scored 897, good job.

The 22 comp was tricky as I still hadn't decided upon the maginification on the scope at different ranges so a bit hit and miss. Still not a bad performance but room for improvement. The SK Lapua ammo is excellent!

And, to cap it off I picked up a No4 MkII Fultons Regulated 303 in brilliant condition with matching numbers. Just needs a butt plate.

Good day!!!!!
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: NESSCC shoot at Dundee

#2 Post by Sandgroper »

Well done Mike. :good: great scores.

I felt guilty about missing the comp, so I packed the family off to Millnain for the day, so I could test the Winchester. Ended up playing with BP revolvers, a LBR and to top it off the wife has claimed ownership of the Winnie after she consistantly shot 0.75 - 1 inch groups (5 shots) with it - and that was on the NESSCC targets! :o
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Well done on the personal bests Mike, it sounds like some very good shooting, was that the new 'scope you are reviewing that you used in the 22 class?

Where are the pictures??? :D
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#4 Post by Mike357 »

It was the new scope hence the issues over magnification. It worked well though. It was very wet and the grass wasn't cut so the photos wouldn't have been very good. I'll take some on the last shoot in Sept.

Grant, glad to hear the family are getting involved. Sounds like you got the Winchester sussed? Might head up to Cawdor if there is another service rifle shoot before the year end.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

Well done Mike, you should be rightly proud of those results especially when having to aim off.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#6 Post by mr smith »

I find good scoring is generally down to quality ammo..........however you did really well considering you were using mine. :clap:
Mike357

#7 Post by Mike357 »

And I am very grateful. I have spent all day trying to track down Vectan. Ovenpaa pointed me to Peter Layman but delivery is £18 up to 10 kgs. I'm gonna try and plan uplift in Northampton and delivery through various work colleagues.

Have you got a load for the 200gn boolits?
mr smith

#8 Post by mr smith »

Mike357 wrote:And I am very grateful. I have spent all day trying to track down Vectan. Ovenpaa pointed me to Peter Layman but delivery is £18 up to 10 kgs. I'm gonna try and plan uplift in Northampton and delivery through various work colleagues.

Have you got a load for the 200gn boolits?

I know Mike,a very good performance all things considered.It was Peter Lawman i got it from,if you can get enough orders to fill up the 18kgs the delivery charge ain't bad.Think i'm using something like 5.5grns for 240 boolits,will start from there and play about when i get round to loading those 200 grainers.
mr smith

#9 Post by mr smith »

Thats that brass loaded up again Mike,please send me a wee reminder e-mail to bring enough for the next NESSCC.