The UK's Finest Independent Forum for Shooters and Gun Owners. Est 2010.

Supporting all legal firearm owners, collectors, enthusiasts, shooters and competitors by promoting and encouraging legitimate gun ownership and use in the UK through unity, advocacy and discussion. To REGISTER contact admin(at)full-bore.co.uk
It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:43 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

If your post is vaguely 'Not Work Safe' please include NWS in the Subject field.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:42 pm 
Site Supporter 2019

Home club or Range: Classified
Some amazing work done to bring the past to life, mostly Russian armed forces as the colourist is Russian......

https://klimbim2014.wordpress.com/category/world-war-2/

Liberation of Stalingrad 1943

Hero of The Soviet Union Vasily Zaitsev, Stalingrad 1943

Hero of The Soviet Union Lyudmila Pavlichenko, 309 confirmed sniper kills

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:23 pm 
Site Supporter Since 2015

Home club or Range: Hemswell Shooting Club. North Coates Butts UK. Grove Small Arms, Barton Road UK. Ulfborg Skyttecenter DK. BASC Trade Member
I had no idea there were as many images of Roza Shanina.

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Binbrook UK Live Weather

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:45 pm 
Site Supporter 2019

Ovenpaa wrote:
I had no idea there were as many images of Roza Shanina.

It's quite sobering when you think she was only 20 years old when she was killed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:14 pm 

Home club or Range: Staveley
My Mrs is Russian, it’s interesting talking to her about the war as the version of it they were taught in school is rather different to what actually happened. No mention of penal battalions, etc and nothing about what they got up to in Berlin during the final few weeks. Or how the Russian soldiers who were captured were treated when the eventually got back home.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:29 pm 
Site Supporter 2019

Rockhopper wrote:
My Mrs is Russian, it’s interesting talking to her about the war as the version of it they were taught in school is rather different to what actually happened. No mention of penal battalions, etc and nothing about what they got up to in Berlin during the final few weeks. Or how the Russian soldiers who were captured were treated when the eventually got back home.

I didn't think posting about colourised photos would lead to that!.

Russia wasn't alone in having penal battalions, to be fair they needed every able-bodied man they could put into combat.

And "what they got up to in Berlin" wasn't just a Russian thing, it now appears that soldiers of the US Army in Germany were also at it.
And very seldomly is anything heard about the "less than gentlemanly" behaviour of British soldiers in the days of the British Empire, particularly in India for example.It is worth pointing out that the version we have been taught could with all probability also very different to what actually occured.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:17 pm 

Quote:
And very seldomly is anything heard about the "less than gentlemanly" behaviour of British soldiers in the days of the British Empire, particularly in India for example.It is worth pointing out that the version we have been taught could with all probability also very different to what actually occured.

Any examples of what we were taught about WW2 that are very different to what actually happened. ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:34 am 
Site Supporter 2019

ordnance wrote:
Quote:

Any examples of what we were taught about WW2 that are very different to what actually happened. ?

I meant history in general, not just WW2.One thing I do know is that when I was taught WW2 history at school in the early '80s there was no mention about the war on the Eastern Front whatsoever.

I originally posted about colourised WW2 photos and it has turned into something else, that's not why I made the original post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:16 pm 

Home club or Range: hunters NRPC
snayperskaya wrote:
ordnance wrote:
Quote:

I meant history in general, not just WW2.One thing I do know is that when I was taught WW2 history at school in the early '80s there was no mention about the war on the Eastern Front whatsoever.

I originally posted about colourised WW2 photos and it has turned into something else, that's not why I made the original post.
that is an indictment of your teachers and the Education system, when I learnt about WW2 it was the 60's and we were taught about pretty much all of the Wars aspects, admittedly I had the benefit of a mother who lived through the Liverpool bombing raids. Uncles who had been on the Artic convoys (and torpedoed in at least one case multiple times) fathers of friends, and people I worked with (in the 80's) who had been POWs in Germany and of the Japanese, the whole thing was within living memory and had not been "whitewashed" in the way it is now.
My late father in law was sent to this country on the Kindertransports and remembered seeing Hitler and Mussolini in Berlin on the stage at a rally!
as a kid every week there was a TV programme" all our yesterdays" that recounted the news stories of 25 years ago to the day using newsreel and papers, I find the lack of knowledge and interest in the subject (beyound Call of Duty ! ) to be terrible ! no wonder there are people happily claiming the concentration camps are a fake!
and even some that claim Katyn was a fake ! (one of the NKVD's busier days )

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:58 pm 
Site Supporter 2019

I wish I haven't bothered now.......

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:44 pm 

Home club or Range: hunters NRPC
snayperskaya wrote:
I wish I haven't bothered now.......
not what you wanted to hear? sorry