44 Marlin

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

44 Marlin

#1 Post by Mike357 »

Can all my FB chums keep an eye and an ear out for any second hand 44 Marlins for sale? Must be pre Remington!

Thanks
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Sim G

Re: 44 Marlin

#2 Post by Sim G »

Mike, I was looking at one today...... My local shop has just taken it as part ex from a club member I know. It's a Limited Cowboy, obviously in .44 mag. 24 inch octagonal barrel with pressed checkered wood work. The action has been slicked, but the original sights are gone. It now wears a Wlliams receiver sight and a tunnel foresight.

Not bad nick exterior wise, but it's begging for a good clean. The sort of thing you're looking for?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#3 Post by Mike357 »

Could be Sim. Are the octagonal barrels not heavy? This will be used as a competition gun.
Rifleman798

#4 Post by Rifleman798 »

Mike,

My Dad has this excact model and is very well balanced. Have shot it numerous times. He shot it at the recent Club BBQ shoot and done pretty well with no prior practice. Would make a nice comp Rifle.

James
Sim G

#5 Post by Sim G »

It is going to be heavier than a "C" or "S", but some reckon the extra weight has advantages. Better balance, slightly better ballistics, longer sight radius so tiny errors aren't magnified and shot recovery is quicker because of the weight. And some find they "swing" better.

I have an original 1894 with a 24 inch round, heavy barrel in .32-20 and an 1894P in .44 which only has a 16" barrel. I do find the longer tube so much better to shoot off hand. I had thought of using it in gallery rifle for nostalgia reasons, but was told it would break the rules as .32-20 was originally a rifle cartridge!!!!

And, with the longer barrel, you're about 4 to 6 inches closer to the target over the other modern Marlins!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Mike357

#6 Post by Mike357 »

:D Valid points! Sim, can you let me know the price or details of the shop. The bloke after one happens to be best friends with a bloke in the Scotland Team so he may well be fussy
Sim G

#7 Post by Sim G »

Sorry Mike, I thought I'd put the number in my original post.

01233 637717 ask for Karen.

Flanker

#8 Post by Flanker »

Hmmm.
Mike357

#9 Post by Mike357 »

:lol: Flanker, you come to rub it in over here too