Shooting down hill

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Tower75

Re: Shooting down hill

#11 Post by Tower75 »

Cruinneas wrote:Relax. :G

It was a simple comment with no disrespect intended.

I have been asked about it before by newcomers to shooting hence the post. More to the point was it (the post) useful or was my use of the word "newbie" distracting from the rest of the post?
It made a lot of sense, thanks :good:
Ovenpaa

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

I always have to stop and think about this, especially shooting up hill, logic would suggest that I would have to aim higher not lower. Stickledown comes to mind here, I know how many MOA I need to get to the target from 1000 but it is a down hill shot, does anyone know the angle and how many minutes difference it makes over the same distance if shot horizontally?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Michael Sproul

#13 Post by Michael Sproul »

I found this article quite helpful.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shooting_uphill.htm
Steve E

#14 Post by Steve E »

ovenpaa wrote:I always have to stop and think about this, especially shooting up hill, logic would suggest that I would have to aim higher not lower. Stickledown comes to mind here, I know how many MOA I need to get to the target from 1000 but it is a down hill shot, does anyone know the angle and how many minutes difference it makes over the same distance if shot horizontally?
I have just gone through my score book to look at elevations. Taken that Century Range at Bisley is flat but the target centre is about 9ft above the firing point(so you are shooting up hill), at 600yds I have a rear sight setting of 11 minutes. (actual value is irrelevent its just how I set the vernier on the rear sight). If I then go and shoot on Stickledown at 1000yds, I need to come up 20 minutes. I know that I am shooting down hill and the Targets center is about 12 feet above the bottom of the mantle.
I have sight settings for Barry Buddon in Scotland. Barry is to all intents a Flat range ie no discernable incline from 300 to 1000yds and the target centre does not move. The Elevation settings at Barry are to all intents the Same as Bisley.
I have shot at Tyldesly Wood in Worcestershire. The range rises quite steeply from the butts to the 600yd firing point. Elevations are the same as Bisley.
Stoney Castle Range(close to Bisley) is all up hill. When at 600 yds the road to the butts rises about 15 feet plus the target centre is about 3 feet above the mantlet. I use the same 600yd elevation settings here as anyware else.
So my experience is that shooting a target rifle using 600yds as a datum, it makes no differnce to elevation settings wether you are shooting up hill or down hill. The only thing that changes the average sight settings , are atmospheric conditions. I know that if it is colder I need more elevation and if it is hotter (20C+) I need less. You also need to bear in mind that I have never been on a range where you are not shooting up hill to the target, Stickledown excluded.

Steve
Scotsgun

#15 Post by Scotsgun »

It gets more complicated if shooting at stuff other than paper targets.