Our Russian friend likes the SA80

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

DL.

Re: Our Russian friend likes the SA80

#21 Post by DL. »

Steve E wrote:
Tower.75 wrote:
When cocking the weapon, you always 'forward assist' on the cocking handle.
Civvie Question: What does "forward assist" mean? I only know that term when referring to that push-button on the ARs
The L85 bolt has multiple lugs and splines
That's the word I was looking for, my heads full of gralloch! :lol:

Look at this compact little thing :

http://www.dandbmilitaria.com/sa80-carb ... 7590-p.asp
Steve E

#22 Post by Steve E »

I was fortunate to shoot one of the Compact trials L85s. Not as accurate as the full length rifle but then it was proposed to replace the SMG ( which the L85 did) and to issue it to Armoured Vehicle crews and other users where the full length rifle may have been too long. Unfortunaely the 'bean counters' and the SASC killed it off. Highly surprised to see a de-activated one on sale.

Steve
DL.

#23 Post by DL. »

Steve E wrote:I was fortunate to shoot one of the Compact trials L85s. Not as accurate as the full length rifle but then it was proposed to replace the SMG ( which the L85 did) and to issue it to Armoured Vehicle crews and other users where the full length rifle may have been too long.

Shove a set of iron sights and a 20 round colt mag on one of those, and that would be the business.

:flag13:
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#24 Post by Sandgroper »

In Australia he would classed as "As mad as a cut snake!" :lol:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#25 Post by 20series »

Steve E wrote:I was fortunate to shoot one of the Compact trials L85s. Not as accurate as the full length rifle but then it was proposed to replace the SMG ( which the L85 did) and to issue it to Armoured Vehicle crews and other users where the full length rifle may have been too long. Unfortunaely the 'bean counters' and the SASC killed it off. Highly surprised to see a de-activated one on sale.

Steve
Aren't the Apache crews issued with a cut down SA80?? I seem to remember reading

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#26 Post by Sandgroper »

20series wrote:
Steve E wrote:I was fortunate to shoot one of the Compact trials L85s. Not as accurate as the full length rifle but then it was proposed to replace the SMG ( which the L85 did) and to issue it to Armoured Vehicle crews and other users where the full length rifle may have been too long. Unfortunaely the 'bean counters' and the SASC killed it off. Highly surprised to see a de-activated one on sale.

Steve
Aren't the Apache crews issued with a cut down SA80?? I seem to remember reading

Alan
L22 Carbine

“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.