Blackpowder Shotguns

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

Blackpowder Shotguns

#1 Post by meles meles »

Does anyone here have words of wisdom to disperse on the subject of blackpowder shotguns?

I think that sooner or later I'll apply for a shotgun certificate and rather than dash out and spend the Sett Reserves on a nice Best London matched pair, I may go for something a little different. I was wondering what the pros and cons of blackpowder shotguns are. I'm thinking of one of those modern things* where the shot and powder come ready measured in those cute little cartridges rather than the old types where it all has to be measured out, poured down the barrel, tamped down and primed with a cap.

* Never let it be said that badgers don't move with the times.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
AL8

Re: Blackpowder Shotguns

#2 Post by AL8 »

I think you will be hard pushed to find blackpowder cartridges. I have a lovely little 16 bore muzzle loader that is fun to shoot. It did not cost a lot of money, it was purchased as a section 58(2). No licence needed, and its not for sale :-)
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I shot a 10 bore BP muzzle loader for a long while, it was great on clays once you had your eye in, downside was whining from the nitro shooters who bitched about the smoke cloud so I used to retire to the stand furthest down wind.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#4 Post by meles meles »

oooooh, clouds of smoke ?

*Tick*
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Loadsa smoke, they hated me for it :shakeshout:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
JonC

#6 Post by JonC »

I doubt a good condition BP shotgun will be much cheaper than a similar price nitro proofed one. In fact, I had a rather nice hammer damascus barreled 10 bore reproofed for nitro a few years ago. Dont think there is anything to stop you using BP carts in a nitro proofed gun. The 10 bore has been used with BP carts on geese, only problem was setting fire to a tree, and you have to keep swinging as they take a bit longer for the shot to some out the dangerous end.