Would you shoot a giraffe ?

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Re: Would you shoot a giraffe ?

#41 Post by Mike357 »

Saw a clip yesterday of a guy hunting Hippos in Africa. Was using an express rifle and literally had the charging Hippo drop at his feet as he waited for it to get really close. Now, I wouldn't shoot a Hippo as I have no desire to but if you are going to do it then this is the way.

As for these so called Hunters that shoot them in the water, wrong!!!
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#42 Post by Sandgroper »

And don't forget

http://goafrica.about.com/od/africasafa ... nimals.htm
The hippo is responsible for more human fatalities in Africa than any other large animal. Male hippos actively defend their territories which run along the banks of rivers and lakes. Females have also been known to get extremely aggressive if they sense anyone coming in between their babies, who stay in the water while she feeds on the shore. Hippos can run at speeds of over 20 miles an hour and they have enormous jaws which host up to 20 inch canines.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
tikkathreebarrels

#43 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

Would I shoot a gireafe?

If it was messin' with the keepers birds yes I'd have to but I'll be damned if I'm walking out to bring it back to the truck: he can do it!
Chuck

#44 Post by Chuck »

Agree sandgroper but hacking off horns and b#ggering off is just not accpetable IMO.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#45 Post by Sandgroper »

Chuck wrote:Agree sandgroper but hacking off horns and b#ggering off is just not accpetable IMO.
No disagreement, but that sounds more like the thing poachers would do **** - I would gladly pay to shoot them buggers.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Chuck

#46 Post by Chuck »

It is - but looks like the horns are the trophy and the carcass is just left for the scavengers.

Poacher hunting, I'd pay for that..... :0037:
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Porcupine

#47 Post by Porcupine »

Chuck wrote:It is - but looks like the horns are the trophy and the carcass is just left for the scavengers.

Poacher hunting, I'd pay for that..... :0037:
As I said, the whole carcass is valuable. I'd be amazed if they left it all behind and just took the trophy. Usually on game ranches you pay to keep the trophy and can also pay to keep some of the meat, bone etc. Most of the time the hunter just takes the trophy and perhaps a few steaks while the rest is butchered with the meat being sold or given to a local village or the families of the ranch workers, and the bones and skins sold for use in craft industries. Poachers leave carcasses because the risk is too great to spend hours butchering a carcass, or because they work on foot and can't physically carry the meat etc, or don't have enough men to do the job. Game ranches don't have those problems - they can take their time, they can bring pick-ups or four-wheelers or even pack horses out to carry the carcass, and have plenty of men. They wouldn't waste it, they need to make a buck!

In any case though, even if they did leave the carcass, who cares? The giraffe won't be taking any solace in its own death from you eating its flesh. You don't eat foxes or coyotes, bears or mountain lions or a host of other animals commonly hunted in the West.
Scotsgun

#48 Post by Scotsgun »

Blackstuff wrote:............for me, I only shoot animals that I can eat or are pests, or preferably animals which are both.
:good:
zzr1100

#49 Post by zzr1100 »

I was born in what is now Zimbabwe .. I was taught there are only three reasons to kill .. (in no particular order) personal defence, pest control or to eat ...
froggy

#50 Post by froggy »

three reasons to kill .. personal defence, pest control or to eat ...
Wise Rodhesian words :good: