Bacon butties on the beach

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Dangermouse

Bacon butties on the beach

#1 Post by Dangermouse »

With it being half term I had looked at the weather forecast and decided that today was going to be the best day to do something with the children so we added down to West Wittering for a day on the beach.

Whilst getting the wind break and picknick gear out, I spied my camping kit and trangia stove, and I was suddenly inspired to use it on the beach, as I had visions of us sheltering behind a windbreak with hats and coats on.

Unpacking it on the beach had me casting my mind back to the last time I had used it. Over 5 years back when we had brought some bed bugs back from France and we could take it no longer, so we escaped for a couple of nights good sleep - funnily enough not far from the beach that we were now on.
The children both watched on in amazement and were excited to hear the gas catch and the frying pan receive the bacon as the wife buttered some rolls. I am was worried that we might have a Que form from the other beach users as the smell wafted up the beach, or more likely someone complain about the "fire".

It did not take long to have two butties in each hand and then got the kettle whistling for a mug of tea each. Not exactly, surviving but it was nice to escape the outrageous café prices and gave the children a taste of the stove and introduce them to the idea of camping.

What did surprise me was that the gas canister still had gas in it. I was expecting that after 5 years of having been opened, it would have all leaked out, but not so. Perhaps a lucky re seal, but good to know should we ever have to rely on one,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Ovenpaa

Re: Bacon butties on the beach

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

We have a couple of very compact Coleman gas cookers for brewing up late at night when the MSR Dragonfly is just too antisocial (It sounds like a jet engine on reheat) The gas seems to last for ages in the Coleman cannisters and we used them quite a bit when blatting through foreign places on a motorbike.

Fair to say a glass/cup or two of red is even quieter of an evening :good:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal