Bisley 07/04/12

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Dr. Strangelove

Bisley 07/04/12

#1 Post by Dr. Strangelove »

After posting that I wouldn't be able to fire my newly acquired Ross, BNZ41 kindly offered to take me on as a guest with his club for a 200yd shoot at Bisley.

With an initial mini-drama over changing from Short Siberia to Century (I thought it would be a good idea to exchange phone numbers. Thankfully a note on the gate at the 200 point on SS sorted the issue!), I turned up where I was supposed to be and got straight into it!

With it being the first time I'd fired the rifle, BNZ offered to spot for me. I was hitting the frame so it just turned into a game of trying to adjust the rear sight for windage and elevation to get me into the black! The foresight is slightly canted to the left, which means I'll have to adjust it and then find out where the point of impact is all over again! Oh well, more shooting!

I finally figured out where I'd have to aim off in order to get a bull and managed it!

To prove it wasn't a fluke:

I took the foresight hood off to adjust the foresight but figured it was pretty pointless with it still canted over to the left..

BNZ was there with his K31 which was performing very well and he was also trying his newly acquired Springfield 1903-A3. Within, if I remember correctly, three shots he was hitting the bull! With FNM ammo no less! He was very chuffed with how it worked, and rightly so!

We exchanged Ross for Springfield at one point. I fired the first five rounds without a pad on the stock and regretted it! They are lovely rifles and I'll get one sometime in the future!

I took my Sako Finnfire on it's second outing and was getting bulls and v-bulls with Lapua Match ammo (I didn't have to aim off that much!)

Around lunchtime we saw fellow forumite Paul R a few lanes over. His BM59 gave him away (along with the SLR with SUIT sight!). He had a real treasure trove of rifles. The two previously mentioned were supplemented with a Garand straight pull, a 1903-A3 and a No.5 Jungle Carbine!

All in all, it was an excellent day out. I even got to try a WW Greener shotgun converted to fire .45 black powder rounds with a 45/70 case!

Thanks to BNZ for the invite and all the help he offered me and to BobBob for the picture taking!
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Bisley 07/04/12

#2 Post by 20series »

:cool2: still not jealous :cool2:

looks like you've got yourself a cracking bit of kit :good:

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

Bnz41 and bobbbob :shakeshout:
bobbob
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by bobbob »

christel wrote:Bnz41 and bobbbob :shakeshout:
:oops:

Don't want to embarrass young Dr. Strangelove but it was a pleasure to meet such a nice young man.
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
Christel
Site Admin

#5 Post by Christel »

Dr Strangelove, thank you for the range report.

O:-)
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

That Ross does look nice :good:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#7 Post by bnz41 »

Oh yes it is, and shoots very well even with me pulling the trigger. I never tried to :run: off with it :lol: