Shooting in the States

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

froggy

Re: Shooting in the States

#11 Post by froggy »

Nice. You can easily use a Glock anywhere in Europe, but shooting the 1911 in the very country where it should be sho, t that is great stuff !!. Lonely Planet should make it a "Top 10 must do " in their USA guides . Any lower ranking would be IMO unprofessional O:-)

How is the px of ammo ? 9mm & .45 ?
Hurles

#12 Post by Hurles »

100 x 9mm = $30, .45 $40
Couple of bucks cheaper for their own reloads, a lot cheaper if you were to buy in bulk.
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#13 Post by bradaz11 »

Blackstuff wrote:
In Vegas i was asked if i'd shot before, i said yes, they gave me a gun 3 mags and 4 boxes of ammo and pointed vaguely in the direction of the door to the range :good:
I had similar in switzerland. went in and asked to hire some bits, and just having an m4 and mp5 slid over the counter to us. colleague from work didnt even know how to load up the mag! was a fun, expensive 2 hours. we did go and try just about every gun they had, guy was friendly and basically charged us for the ammo, and a set price to try any of thee guns, rather than a rental on each gun. wound up doing a mag each thru each pistol.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
froggy

#14 Post by froggy »

I used to visit a similar type of place in Prague. Used to be a great club. I would pick-up a pistol & targets of my choice, ammo and make my way to the underground range. When in need of a break, I would holster and go for a fag & a drink at the bar. Sadly on two separate occasions, plonkers rented a gun but the only thing they shot was their brains out. Since, "visitors" have to be supervised by an instructor, for a fee of course. Not so much fun, so now I rent a range and organise my own O:-)

On the subject of the USA, it looks like some clubs are starting sadly to view tuitions as subject to ITAR and restrict them to US Citizens. I tried to book a "dynamic" class I was interested in and was told that as an alien I could not attend. Anybody has any info on the subject ?

Is it indeed a federal ITAR rule or just that those guys who could not be bother with someone from across the pond ?
http://www.magpuldynamics.com/assets/fi ... onForm.pdf
phaedra1106

#15 Post by phaedra1106 »

We'll be visiting a range called The Firing Line a couple of times over the next 2 weeks, it's just off the US19 in Port Richey on the Gulf Coast, very friendly people and good range etiquette/safety.

http://www.firinglinerange.com/

Jared likes the Glock 17 (no taste!) kukkuk and I usually end up with a nice Sig P226 :good:

Hopefully we'll also get to shoot at 1000yds with our friends Steyr HS50 M1, probably won't hit anything though!.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Sim G

#16 Post by Sim G »

froggy wrote: On the subject of the USA, it looks like some clubs are starting sadly to view tuitions as subject to ITAR and restrict them to US Citizens. I tried to book a "dynamic" class I was interested in and was told that as an alien I could not attend. Anybody has any info on the subject ?

Is it indeed a federal ITAR rule or just that those guys who could not be bother with someone from across the pond ?
http://www.magpuldynamics.com/assets/fi ... onForm.pdf

ITAR provisions include Military Training Equipment and I believe that this has expanded to also encompass "intellectual property". So knowledge and training techniques of a military nature would fall into this..... Loosely.....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Hurles

#17 Post by Hurles »

Found this on an old forum from 2012, no idea on it's current relevance.

"Anyway, ITAR prohibits foreign nationals from receiving US training in tactics. MagPul Dynamics, for example, trains foreign nationals all the time (even thought their website says you have to be a US citizen) and gets around it by saying that they're teaching weapons manipulation rather than offensive tactics."
PrecisionGunnerUK

#18 Post by PrecisionGunnerUK »

Just to add : if you're going to Florida in the ususal central tourist area and want to shoot, I can highly recommend a range called The Orlando Gun Club.
Very professional, very clean facilities and all the staff were courteous and offered as much training as necessary. Probably helps that it's a proper gun club as well as a public range. Pistol, rifles and shotties on offer, two indoor ranges, rifle up to 50 yds. I'm sure you'll google it if interested.
Plus it's only 5 mins away from a main shopping mall. Drop the females off and enjoy a couple of hours "man time" :run:

I've shot on most of the "tourist friendly" ranges in Orlando and this one beat them all, felt very safe. Compared to other ranges where the entire instructions consisted of ;
1. sign this waver
2. bullets go in the mag this way round
3. don't forget your ear defenders
Chuck

#19 Post by Chuck »

froggy
: Is it indeed a federal ITAR rule or just that those guys who could not be bother with someone from across the pond ?
No mate, ITAR applies, nowt to do with "cannot be bothered with foreigners". Applies to civilians. Anything "tactical" would be caught up.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
ordnance

#20 Post by ordnance »

Jared likes the Glock 17 (no taste!)
There is no accounting for taste. :) Why drive a skoda when you can drive a porsche.