Shooting in the States

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Hurles

Shooting in the States

#1 Post by Hurles »

Have been lucky enough to have a couple of days at work in LA recently. Found a range, booked up an instructor (as you can't shoot alone and the fact that it's been 15 years since my RAF days!) and had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon shooting some 9mm.
Had shot the Walther and Browning Hi power in my service days so tried out some newer plastic with the Glock 17 first, will have to have a revisit next time now I know what to expect, as me and the trigger didn't really get on. Found the huge pull before you meet and resistance very strange, though better for subsequent shots not letting the trigger all the way out. So back to some older stuff and a huge improvement with an old S&W 1911 which I thought was lovely to shoot.
Hopefully will get back in the next few months this time with a colleague to hire a couple of different pistols.
Delighted to be able to shoot so easily, though perhaps slightly concerned too!
Think I learnt more in that hour from the instructor than ever I was taught in the military.
Charlotte the flyer
Home club or Range: Classified

Re: Shooting in the States

#2 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

Did they have full sized magazines or 5 rounders?
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.
Hurles

#3 Post by Hurles »

We loading 10 each time so I'm presuming normal size.
Charlotte the flyer

#4 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

Cool, I'm probably going to LA on business next year. Be rude not to participate shakeshout
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.
Hurles

#5 Post by Hurles »

Absolutely! Trying to make sure for my next visit I'm with a work colleague who shoots!
Was about $12 for the gun hire, $14 for an hour of range hire, +ammo, $50 an hour if you need an instructor.
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

Hurles wrote: Delighted to be able to shoot so easily, though perhaps slightly concerned too!
In Vegas i was asked if i'd shot before, i said yes, they gave me a gun 3 mags and 4 boxes of ammo and pointed vaguely in the direction of the door to the range :good:
DVC
Hurles

#7 Post by Hurles »

:D explains why I had one of those "separated by a common language" moments; I was trying to ask the instructor what I needed to do to get checked out to shoot unsupervised.....eer, photo id? 8-)
Chuck

#8 Post by Chuck »

lol lol Culture shock eh... bangbang
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Charlotte the flyer

#9 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

It **** annoys me how they usually pass you the rifle/pistol without proving it clear. Bad form.
Hurles

#10 Post by Hurles »

Have to say this place was OK, in a bit of a seedy area and yes a bit of a culture shock compared to UK ranges, but the pistols were handed over without mag and with the actions locked back and after shooting that's how they left the firing point too.