Permanently attached mod on LBP legality

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

huntervixen

Re: Permanently attached mod on LBP legality

#11 Post by huntervixen »

GRSporth1 wrote:Disassamble the gun, so it is always an S.1 gun undergoing "maintenance" - same as stripping down a 12" barrel 10/22, a gun which is much shorter than 600mm without the stock.

Blind headed pins/adhesive and welding only - anything that doesn't need a hacksaw/angle grinder to remove will be deemed as removable.
Interesting point, two things though, if its section 5 to start with, doesn't it remain Sec5, i.e you can't "convert" a Sec5 firearm as it retains it's Sec5 status?

Are not restricted pistol components considered Sec5, I know its not the case for long arms, where the components are Sec1 until assembled into a working firearm, but I thought the law regarded restricted (parts requiring proof) pistol components differently and they remain Sec5?

For this to be legally possible, wouldn't it have to be imported converted, ie "manufactured from new" as a Sec1 LBP

Or am I completely wrong??
HALODIN

#12 Post by HALODIN »

Absolutely.
huntervixen wrote:ie "manufactured from new" as a Sec1 LBP
GRSporth1

#13 Post by GRSporth1 »

huntervixen wrote:
GRSporth1 wrote:Disassamble the gun, so it is always an S.1 gun undergoing "maintenance" - same as stripping down a 12" barrel 10/22, a gun which is much shorter than 600mm without the stock.

Blind headed pins/adhesive and welding only - anything that doesn't need a hacksaw/angle grinder to remove will be deemed as removable.
Interesting point, two things though, if its section 5 to start with, doesn't it remain Sec5, i.e you can't "convert" a Sec5 firearm as it retains it's Sec5 status?

Are not restricted pistol components considered Sec5, I know its not the case for long arms, where the components are Sec1 until assembled into a working firearm, but I thought the law regarded restricted (parts requiring proof) pistol components differently and they remain Sec5?

For this to be legally possible, wouldn't it have to be imported converted, ie "manufactured from new" as a Sec1 LBP

Or am I completely wrong??
No, you are not wrong.
If you are going to start with an S.5 gun or buy & add S.5 components (e.g. a short barrel manufactured as such) to a S.1 gun, that certainly would be a problem.
However, if you start with a S.1 gun or a set of S.1 components and modify them in such a way as to ensure they are still S.1 when assembled into a complete firearm there shouldn’t be too much of a problem.
We are certainly into an area where “Police advice” and “letter of the law” might differ, but it has been done.

In a similar area, we have the legal definition of barrel length as being “measured from the muzzle to the point at which the charge is exploded on firing”. All the LBRs I have seen have a 12” barrel from forcing cone to muzzle, meaning it is usually ~14” from primer to muzzle.
Entertaining thought, but I don’t suggest you rush out to cut 1.5” off the barrel of your LBR (at least I certainly haven’t).
Gundoc

#14 Post by Gundoc »

Was debating this with a mate last night, he fancies a proper suppressed MP5 clone, whereby the fake mod is binned, and the barrel chopped and a mod permanently attached (similar to the sub-raven)
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#15 Post by TattooedGun »

Gundoc wrote:Was debating this with a mate last night, he fancies a proper suppressed MP5 clone, whereby the fake mod is binned, and the barrel chopped and a mod permanently attached (similar to the sub-raven)
That's been done... I'm fairly sure someone on here had one at some point...
Gaz

#16 Post by Gaz »

Surely doing this would raise the old "moderators need proofing because they're a pressure bearing part" zombie again, if you were to start treating them as an integral part of the barrel?
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#17 Post by TattooedGun »

Gaz wrote:Surely doing this would raise the old "moderators need proofing because they're a pressure bearing part" zombie again, if you were to start treating them as an integral part of the barrel?
Not according to the document that was posted earlier in the thread from Sandgroper, or the website it came from... (I read a lot the other day about proofing of moderators following on from this thread, I seem to have confused the sources)
PaulR

#18 Post by PaulR »

huntervixen wrote:Are not restricted pistol components considered Sec5, I know its not the case for long arms, where the components are Sec1 until assembled into a working firearm, but I thought the law regarded restricted (parts requiring proof) pistol components differently and they remain Sec5?

Coming at this from another angle, I've always been told that to possess an unproofed Rifled Barrel Blank of any length does not require an FAC or any form of license as long as it is not chambered.

Surely, a new unproofed pistol barrel whatever the length would be covered by this as it being part of a revolver is not chambered. That is unless the forcing cone counts as a 'Chamber'.

I'm sure the Police and Home Office would view it as Section 1/5 depending on length but it does make me wonder!