Permanently attached mod on LBP legality

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Permanently attached mod on LBP legality

#1 Post by TattooedGun »

If one were to buy a long barrelled pistol, then get a RFD with sufficient skill and license (if necessary) to shorten the barrel and permanently attach a moderator to it to get it to the 300mm minimum length. Would it be legal?
What are the options of attachment in this situation? Welding? Pins? Screws? What constitutes permanent attachment?

Just curious...
CDM5
Home club or Range: Tidworth RPC & Bisley

Re: Permanently attached mod on LBP legality

#2 Post by CDM5 »

TattooedGun wrote:If one were to buy a long barrelled pistol, then get a RFD with sufficient skill and license (if necessary) to shorten the barrel and permanently attach a moderator to it to get it to the 300mm minimum length. Would it be legal?
What are the options of attachment in this situation? Welding? Pins? Screws? What constitutes permanent attachment?

Just curious...
Difficult part is attaching the mod before the barrel is cut down under 12" which will make it "Once S5 always S5" 8-)

Lantac have done similar with their Sub Raven.
GRSporth1

#3 Post by GRSporth1 »

Disassamble the gun, so it is always an S.1 gun undergoing "maintenance" - same as stripping down a 12" barrel 10/22, a gun which is much shorter than 600mm without the stock.

Blind headed pins/adhesive and welding only - anything that doesn't need a hacksaw/angle grinder to remove will be deemed as removable.
bigfathairybiker

#4 Post by bigfathairybiker »

Could there be a problem with the fact that the mod is not rifled?

Mark
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#5 Post by Sandgroper »

It's been done with Buckmark LBPs, just trying to find pictures.

IIRC a court case about back boring pistol barrels to create an integral moderator was won by the defendant. I think I read the details on the Jackson rifles website - I'll check when I get the chance.

Edit: Moderated Buckmark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwODyz_y_g4

Edit (2): The Court case was in regarding back boring a 10/22 rifle and if it should have gone back for proofing. The case was abandoned after technical evidence was submitted - http://www.reflexsuppressors.co.uk/ last paragrapgh
R-v-Beatham_evidence.pdf
(985.64 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Last edited by Sandgroper on Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

There is no issue with the lack of rifling in the 'barrel' the important part is that is is not less than 300,0mm from bolt face to end of barrel. To permanently attach I would suggest screwed and silver soldered would suffice as would welding, screwing and gluing might not be quite as effective as the moderator body could be removed with a heat gun, then again it could also be removed with a hacksaw...

In theory to keep completely within the law you would need to take a barrel blank, permanently attach a moderator to one end and then thread it to fit the firearm which might prove to be a PITA. There is an obvious alternative...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dave_303

#7 Post by dave_303 »

If I recall the K22 comes with an optional integral suppressor, believe Caledonia call it the K22 Whisper
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#8 Post by TattooedGun »

Ahh, thanks for the advice guys...

Late night, "cant sleep" thread for the win! :p

Okay, so we can get permanently suppressed LBP's... we can have revolvers in pistol calibres....

What about a permanently suppressed 1911 in .45 ACP with some sort of single round magazine so it can only be fired single-shot...?

I know people can have modified glock magazines on humane dispatch Glocks that then become single shot... what about us Section 1 folk...?
HALODIN

#9 Post by HALODIN »

It would be legal the only problem is deactivating the blowback. I think the only solution would be to interrupt the cycle like the SGC 9LR, but in a 911 format. I believe someone is developing lever release LBP in 9mm and .45 but I haven't heard anything in maybe a year.
CDM5
Home club or Range: Tidworth RPC & Bisley

#10 Post by CDM5 »

dave_303 wrote:If I recall the K22 comes with an optional integral suppressor, believe Caledonia call it the K22 Whisper
Yes but it's a 12" barrel that is ported/drilled.

Will not be nearly as effective as a pistol length (4"-5") barrel with suppressor which will keep the velocity down.