LBP and LBR as a club gun

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

safetyfirst

Re: LBP and LBR as a club gun

#11 Post by safetyfirst »

It's all a bit inconsistent too, Derbyshire won't let one of our clubs out it on the club ticket. The odd thing is, the current laws just encourage the spread of the pistols! I know a few folk that wouldn't have bought one if they realised how hard they are to shoot!!
M99

#12 Post by M99 »

It is your clubs home office approval you need to read in company with the current guidance.
The important bit is at the bottom of your Club Approval and exactly what it says (or doesn't say)
This is the crux of the matter and the bit that stops section 15 applying.
martin2sheds
Home club or Range: St Giles Yarners, Three Counties Sporting Club,Northern Sportsman & LERA

#13 Post by martin2sheds »

Charlotte the flyer wrote:Does anyone know if this will alter the 'guidance' about sharing LBPs and LBRs? I'm trying to find out exactly what the law is on this and also the legal status of the 'guidance'. My FLO is due a visit so I'll try to seek clarification but other opinions are welcomed.
On the Sportsman’s Association Newsletters web page two PDFs are available for down load, they have interesting articles about LBP & LBRs;
http://sportsmansassociation.co.uk/news ... MMAY14.pdf
http://sportsmansassociation.co.uk/news ... MMAY14.pdf
Having met two of the Sportsman’s Association officers; Joe Beatham & Savvas Toufexis in Mr Beatham’s gun shop in East Barnet, which I walked into by chance as I was walking down the street, I have since joined the Sportsman’s Association & purchased a rather nice Lee Enfield .303 No4 Mk1 from Mr Beatham’s gun shop.
Why not join and ask them to advise you.
Martin
sysreq

#14 Post by sysreq »

I believe the case was specifically cited as not giving a legal precedence, also, as mentioned it was specific to the buckmark and not LBP in general.

From the October firearms guidance document
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t_2014.pdf

Section 13.49
Long-barrelled pistols, long-range pistols, section 1 shotguns and full bore rifles designed
or adapted to fire ammunition capable of discharging projectiles at muzzle energies
greater than 10,000 foot pounds do not fall within the three Home Office categories of
approval for target shooting clubs, and therefore they cannot take advantage of the free
club certificate issued to Home Office approved clubs.

Unless you can get the home office to change their guidance, it is unlikely you will be able to get a LBP on a club ticket. I believe my club has recently had their slot removed because of this.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#15 Post by dromia »

Martin as a member of the Sportsmans Association can you access their accounts?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
martin2sheds
Home club or Range: St Giles Yarners, Three Counties Sporting Club,Northern Sportsman & LERA

#16 Post by martin2sheds »

I am only an associate member, I have no voting rights.
And I have no accounts.
Martin
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#17 Post by dromia »

Anyone else a full member of the SA and have access to their accounts?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Gaz

#18 Post by Gaz »

Why do you want their accounts?

Re R v Wells, although Mike Wells won his case about having a modified Buckmark on a club FAC, it's not binding case law. That's only created when someone wins an appeal, which wasn't what was going on in that case.

As for section 15, it clearly states "rifles". Your club is approved for fullbore rifles, smallbore rifles or muzzle-loading pistols. Something that isn't legally a rifle can't be put on a club FAC - and that's a matter of law. You'd need to amend the law to change that.
IsleShoot

#19 Post by IsleShoot »

I've currently got a letter into my MP about the HO guidance surrounding LBP & LBR firearms. The HO guidance is clear that LBP & R's cannot be held as club guns but there is nothing in the '68 Act or its ammendments that can prevent a club holding one, hence why Mike Well's won his case and Kingston Gun Club amongst others are able to hold one as a 'club gun'.
If you are keen to get one as a club gun your 1st move should be to get the club sec to speak to the FEO and then take it from there.
dromia
Site Admin

#20 Post by dromia »

Gaz wrote:Why do you want their accounts?
Interested to see what the membership stands at and what the fees are spent on.

I was a member briefly and wondered about it at the time but never pursued it then.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!