New GSG 1911 - £495

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

phaedra1106

Re: New GSG 1911 - £495

#11 Post by phaedra1106 »

Gundoc wrote:anyone wishing to buy one of these could do worse than giving foxy a ring at diggle- if you want to save a couple of quid..
How cheap is he selling them?, would have to be a good discount to offset any RFD fees?
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
safetyfirst

#12 Post by safetyfirst »

I've had one of these, well, one of a batch from about 2 years ago.

You get what you pay for.

Fun gun though.
Brookers

#13 Post by Brookers »

safetyfirst wrote:I've had one of these, well, one of a batch from about 2 years ago.

You get what you pay for.

Fun gun though.
I agree, if you do buy one just make sure you register your waranty..... wtf

The more LBP's the better but this would be bottom of my shopping list even at that price.

Brookers
phaedra1106

#14 Post by phaedra1106 »

From what I was told these are not the same as the original version.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Sixshot6

#15 Post by Sixshot6 »

phaedra1106 wrote:From what I was told these are not the same as the original version.
I'm wary of GSG stuff. I seem to recall the early 1911's they made actually fell afoul of some obscure laws in certain american states banning pistols made of certain low quality material (zinc being one). Based on old saturday night special ban laws. Has the material changed?
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#16 Post by bradaz11 »

would you not want the slide to be nice and light for the low power of a .22 cartridge to be able to blow the mech back?

as for the barrel, i assume its a 12" barrel with fake suppressor shroud? could you remove the shroud and fit a compensator to the end (as folks do with 10/22 for fast precise semi shooting) ? if that works, could you also bring the barrel back a few more inches and pin the comp on to make 12" barrel?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
sharps4065

#17 Post by sharps4065 »

You get what you pay for..... On the other hand if you buy ANY LBP semi auto .22 you're going to have to spend time and money to get it to work reliably, accurately and with any reasonable life span.
Tony-c

#18 Post by Tony-c »

sharps4065 wrote:You get what you pay for..... On the other hand if you buy ANY LBP semi auto .22 you're going to have to spend time and money to get it to work reliably, accurately and with any reasonable life span.
buckmark
38Super
Home club or Range: FDPC

#19 Post by 38Super »

I've been looking at one these too. Some people have been very happy with them and many rather less so.
They are definitely not without their faults but the faults seem to be well known and solutions are readily available. It also looks like many of the problems with the earlier model have been addressed. They still haven't resolved the issue with the breech block screw but TSC has a solution involving helicoiling.

The need for a lightweight zinc alloy slide is mentioned in the TruthAboutGuns review.

The Tunnel were the original importers and they have a lot of knowledge and info about them. I had a go with one of their club ones this weekend which was nice to shoot but had a lot of light strikes, one or more on almost every mag. 250+ rounds. Didn't seem to make any difference with Mini-mag, CCI standard or Golden Bullet. All fed and ejected fine just didn't always go bang on first pull. Worked every time after recocking.

I would agree with the TAG reviewer about the grip safety. I felt I had to squeeze the grip harder than I would have liked.

Accuracy with iron sights was fine for practical and I'm well out of practice with iron sights.
sharps4065

#20 Post by sharps4065 »

First thing you need to do with a GSG is replace the barrel bushing for one that isn't like throwing a sausage up the Mersey Tunnel and put in a good replacement spring guide. The bushing may need a little fitting but it's well worth the effort. It will tighten up groups and remove the need for the breech block screw. I don't have mine in....

Not being a metallurgist all I can say is the slide metal is very soft. I'm on my second slide which Richard at TSC kindly had replaced. The problem was that after 4 or 5 thousand rounds the slide stop notch was peening back. So when you ran the gun dry (count your shots!) the slide traveled too far forward and pinched the back of the mag so you had to pull the mag out rather than let gravity take it's course. Unfortunately I'm 5000 rounds down the line and my 2nd slide needs replacing. I can't see Edgar Brothers doing much about that.

I sometimes get a light strike, but then so do my shooting partners with their K22 and Low Mills, it's not a GSG unique problem in my experience. My problem with this eased considerably after replacing the spring guide and spring with a CWA one - and spending time polishing the rails.

My grip safety is pinned, just like it was back in the day so I don't have a problem with it.

And I wish I could still use iron sights.... Now I can see the sights clearly , or the targets clearly. Unfortunately not at the same time!