New GSG 1911 - First impressions

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

38Super
Home club or Range: FDPC

Re: New GSG 1911 - First impressions

#11 Post by 38Super »

Nope. I've decided to try the 'on the slide' approach with a mini sight and see how it goes as this method doesn't require any alteration to the frame while it's still under warranty.
Brookers

#12 Post by Brookers »

38Super wrote:Nope. I've decided to try the 'on the slide' approach with a mini sight and see how it goes as this method doesn't require any alteration to the frame while it's still under warranty.
Interesting, which mini sight are you going for?
qws

#13 Post by qws »

I have just got one of these for my Sig. Allows very quick change from RED Dot back to iron sights - £67.00 imported direct from the states

http://www.sight-mount.com/

38Super

#14 Post by 38Super »

The latest accessory for my GSG.
Red dot sight fitted.jpg
Only a cheapo sight to see if I like the position and that the mount is up to the job.

This is about the best I can do with irons. 10 shots at 25m on a PL8. I'm quite sure the GSG is capable of better.
GSG Best group.jpg
The ruler isn't mine in case you're wondering.
sidawson

#15 Post by sidawson »

how are you finding it, i'm thinking of getting one when cert finally gets here, have you upgraded the guide rod and spring or is it a better one being the newer model
38Super

#16 Post by 38Super »

Loving it so far. :good:
600+ rounds of CCI Standard Velocity. Zero failures or faults.
I've tried Mini-mag and Golden Bullet also without problems. Since it runs perfectly on Standard I don't feel the need to use HV which could make a difference.

I've ordered a guide rod kit but only on a 'just in case' basis.

Fitting the sight was a bit of a pain as I didn't know that it has a 'Novak' dovetail not a standard one. I'm hoping that fitting the red dot isn't going to affect the reliability. fingerscrossed
sidawson

#17 Post by sidawson »

i went and got one yesterday but got to wait till tuesday to get down the range to try it. where did you get the guide rod kit from.

how did the red dot go
morph007
Home club or Range: Kentucky Firearms club

#18 Post by morph007 »

Afternoon all,

Pick one of these up a few days ago and loving it. Just need more mags, any suggestions of where to pick some up cheaper then £40?
If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#19 Post by Les »

That's a nice looking pistol. I keep playing the "yes/no - should I/shouldn't I" game, but I'm really starting to get seriously tempted. :twisted:
38Super

#20 Post by 38Super »

Just had a chance to use the red dot sight on the range today. After 250+ rounds I noticed that the sight mount was loose and needed to be re-tightened. I'll try some threadlock and give it another go. Otherwise it worked fine.

I did get 2 failures to cycle properly and 3/4 failures to feed from the first round off the mag. I have also just changed to the +4 (really +3) followers and these may have caused the FTF's. After almost a 1000 rounds the slide was feeling a little stiff which may have caused the cycling problems.

Cleaned it just now for the first time ready for a comp tomorrow. Hopefully that will sort the cycling problem fingerscrossed

I've also removed the magazine safety as this was becoming a real nuisance. wallhead

I got the 'Improved Reliability' kit from GSGPro in the US along with a couple of extra mags. The mags are the standard ones without the extended bumper that the one supplied has. That's my next task along with the mag well.

For info - the +4 followers do allow 14 to be loaded but the mag can't be loaded on a closed slide. 13 in the mag is fine. Adding the +1 mag bumpers is likely to happen as soon as I can get some.