New GSG 1911 - First impressions

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

38Super
Home club or Range: FDPC

New GSG 1911 - First impressions

#1 Post by 38Super »

:good:
Picked this up today
GSG 1911 3.jpg
Straight down to the range - 200 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity later and I'm very pleased. shakeshout
200 rounds - 0 failures :good:
Says .22LR HV on the slide but the manual says optimised for standard and high velocity and CCI Standard is what my colt likes :good:
I haven't done an accuracy test yet but at 25m I could hit every thing I pointed it at on the backstop. At a guess it's shooting a couple of inches high at 25m just above the foresight, fine for practical. It came from the factory with the highest foresight fitted so you'll need to fit an adjustable rearsight for target shooting (or a dot).
Fits my hand like it should. :D Finish looks painted as expected but evenly done so it looks ok, time will tell how well it lasts. Everything works as expected with couple of minor exceptions.
Pulling the slide back does not release the slide catch despite what the manual says you need to depress the catch. I always do so I'm not bothered. 2 minutes with a file would sort it. The magwell is deep but bevelled it is not in, any way. On the plus side there is room to fit a suitably trimmed bevelled mag well.
A particular problem for me being left handed is the oversized left side of the safety digs into my hand (5 minutes with a file)
It came with one magazine which is easy to load and already fitted with a suitably extended bumper.
I did nip up the breech block screw about 1/16th of a turn but I didn't check how tight it was to start with.
There does appear to be a little steel? pin where the slide catch contacts the slide. Hopefully that will cure that problem.

Overall I'm very pleased with it so far.
lollol
I just need more mags, the +4 followers and lots of ammo.
I'm going to keep shooting it and see how long it takes before I need to clean it.
GSG 1911 1.jpg
GSG 1911 4.jpg
Geek
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

Re: New GSG 1911 - First impressions

#2 Post by Geek »

Very nice, I too looked at one of those today, not to purchase but just to try for feel.

Does seen quite good value for money when you compare them to K22

I preferred yours to the .357 LBR, I wasn't keen on that at all, so long you may as well get an underlever :)
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
38Super

#3 Post by 38Super »

Just checked the weight and the GSG weighs in at around 3-4 ounces more than a fully loaded 1911. Not bad considering all the extra bits.
It's also a pretty much a direct fit in my old left handed Safariland holster which has saved me another £100.
phaedra1106

#4 Post by phaedra1106 »

Did you get the set of various height foresights with it?
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
38Super

#5 Post by 38Super »

It comes with 5 different foresights, a little right-angled chamber brush, appropriate allen keys and the wrench for the barrel cap we don't get. It comes in the hard case which is a nice touch.
All in I think very good value for £450. goodjob
38Super

#6 Post by 38Super »

Now shot 500 CCI Standard - 0 failures.
Also tried some Mini-mag and Golden Bullet without any problems.

Here's my attempt at accuracy at 25m (one shot called low). Sights level with target shoulder. I'm seriously out of practice with irons.
GSG 1911 10 shot group.jpg
I'm happy with that for practical.
Brookers

#7 Post by Brookers »

38Super wrote:I'm seriously out of practice with irons.
Red dot time?
38Super

#8 Post by 38Super »

Already on it's way :D
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#9 Post by snayperskaya »

I tried one at Minsterley yesterday and was impressed with it, accurate as well.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Brookers

#10 Post by Brookers »

38Super wrote:Already on it's way :D
C-more?