Oil or Grease?

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

Re: Oil or Grease?

#11 Post by meles meles »

Proper series 1, aka "Classic" RR, we assumes ?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Brookers

#12 Post by Brookers »

meles meles wrote:Proper series 1, aka "Classic" RR, we assumes ?
Careful now, what do you mean by a proper series 1 RR classic? 2 door and exposed bonnet hinges?

I had a 2 door and 3 different 4 doors, 3.5, 3.9 and a Tdi tray back challenge truck. Compared to a modern RR Vogue they are prehistoric to the point of comparing a brown bess to a AI!

Brookers

(still regretting selling my 3.9 Classic)
James K

#13 Post by James K »

Isn't the grease for the bolt?
Lee B

#14 Post by Lee B »

meles meles wrote:Proper series 1, aka "Classic" RR, we assumes ?
Sorry Mr Badger, I think the first one was a S2 "N" reg 1975 ish, the second was a S3, I think a "V" plate, 2 years old when I bought it so quite a while ago! Nice motah though, had a long range fuel tank so it carried (from memory) 37.5 gallons of petrol and even with its extra Fairey Overdrive only managed about 14mpg :( it would pass anything except a petrol station :)

Just found a photo FYU 181V wonder if it's still about....
Lee B

#15 Post by Lee B »

James K wrote:Isn't the grease for the bolt?
Apologies for the car talk, please attribute it to thread drift and advancing years :(

I'm guessing you're referring to the original point James in which case, it's a SIG 226 so no bolt, right or wrong I'm using a bit of grease on the frame rails and after giving it the occasional de gunge with half a tin of WD40 followed by a squirt of 3in1 down the firing pin hole - I'm changing to ATF soon as the 3in1 runs out, still not convinced about cutting it with paraffin though :(
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#16 Post by snayperskaya »

Lee B wrote:
James K wrote:Isn't the grease for the bolt?
Apologies for the car talk, please attribute it to thread drift and advancing years :(

I'm guessing you're referring to the original point James in which case, it's a SIG 226 so no bolt, right or wrong I'm using a bit of grease on the frame rails and after giving it the occasional de gunge with half a tin of WD40 followed by a squirt of 3in1 down the firing pin hole - I'm changing to ATF soon as the 3in1 runs out, still not convinced about cutting it with paraffin though :(
Try cutting a bit of ATF with paraffin and see how you get on.Don't you find the 3-in-1 goes gummy after a while?.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!