Oil or Grease?

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Lee B

Oil or Grease?

#1 Post by Lee B »

Greetings Shootists,

Anyone got any strong opinions or specific reasons or experiences regarding the above?
I've always used oil on air guns, shotguns, pistols and revolvers and never really given it a thought until a discussion last weekend when it was pointed out that SIG Sauer put a little toothpaste shaped tube of grease in the case with their guns, not a bottle of oil - and they probably know best...
Any thoughts? And indeed is there any difference between the gun makers lubricant of choice or alternatives used in the motor or engineering industries and doubtless costing a tiny fraction of the price?
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Oil or Grease?

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

I must admit I use a 50:50 mix of ATF and parrafin and it works a treat and costs peanuts compared to "gun oil", never had a problem with it and it keeps everything nicely lubed.I believe if you add acetone and a bit of lanoline to it thats pretty much the recipe for Eds Red bore cleaner.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Lee B

#3 Post by Lee B »

ATF I could believe, not too convinced about the paraffin though.....
Sim G

#4 Post by Sim G »

Tetra grease.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

For moving parts I only use TW-25B which is a synthetic grease.

https://www.mil-comm.com/
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Daryll
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#6 Post by Daryll »

Balistol for everything.....
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

ATF is the finest gun oil I have ever used, cutting it with paraffin thins it and helps it penetrate if you need it to do this.

Never grease a gun as I find it can get cloggy and hold grit, also with ATF I have never found a need for anything else. Maybe if I had an automatic and i was putting thousands of rounds a week through it ATF might be found wanting and I'd look for something else but currently I'm only shooting 500 rounds a week through my guns both target and sporting and cheap easily available ATF has never let me down.

Also when it comes to lubricating guns I have found that less is more.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

dromia wrote:ATF is the finest gun oil I have ever used, cutting it with paraffin thins it and helps it penetrate if you need it to do this.

Never grease a gun as I find it can get cloggy and hold grit, also with ATF I have never found a need for anything else. Maybe if I had an automatic and i was putting thousands of rounds a week through it ATF might be found wanting and I'd look for something else but currently I'm only shooting 500 rounds a week through my guns both target and sporting and cheap easily available ATF has never let me down.

Also when it comes to lubricating guns I have found that less is more.
Less is more :good:. my Dragunovs' and AKs' only need a light smear after cleaning.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#9 Post by meles meles »

In Ganniland, more is best !
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Lee B

#10 Post by Lee B »

Interesting spread of opinion, much appreciated, I still wonder why a tube of grease is supplied with the gun though.

WRT ATF, I used to take my Range Rover to a couple of lads in Old Welwyn, for servicing (Chambers & Gillies) dunno if they're still about, they insisted the best gearbox lubricant to use was ATF. It coped with the loads the gearboxes dealt with and even gave slightly better mpg! Versatile stuff!