Section 7.3 handguns

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

joe

Re: Section 7.3 handguns

#11 Post by joe »

How do you get a glock on a 7.3 apparently quite few people have them on 7.3
Do you have write a report on why a particular pistol is 7.3 before plod gives you the authority ?
nickb834

#12 Post by nickb834 »

Have a shufty at this and it'll give you the background:

https://sites.google.com/site/hbsauk/HB ... on-7-1-7-3

By and large to get any pistol on 7.3 it's either specific interest such as "It's Elvis' pearl handled 1911" to "This pistol has a unique particular feature" say such as the FN57.

Be very aware though - 7.3 isn't for "frustrated" pistol shooters, there's no competing and a bunch of onerous restrictions around the transport of both gun and ammunition (marginally easier if you have something of same calibre held on sec 1).

As per most things firearms, different forces treat things differently; some forces will require a serial number for your variation - others will let you acquire a type / model. Read up on the relevant sections of the 97 act etc, read up on the HBSA, have a chat with that organisation and your FEO and see what the lay of the land is.
Robert303

#13 Post by Robert303 »

I am a member of the 7.3 centre in Manchester which is temporarily closed but hopefully will re open soon. PM me if you want details.
As to obtaining Sec7.3 Firearms once you have your FAC it is not that difficult if you have deep pockets! BUT remember 'I want' is not enough. You will have to have a good reason and be able to explain how it fits in with your collection or collections. I found it was always worth running my plans past one or two other 7.3 shooters and have them question it so that I was ready for any queries from the Police. If you are well prepared and have all your facts ready you should have no problems.
Be careful if buying at auction as if the pistol develops a fault and has to go 'Off site for repair' it can be a long, complex, and expensive business. I had a Webley Mk 1N that needed to go from the armoury at Bisley to Fultons. It needed written authority from 2 police forces before I could even start.
ordnance

#14 Post by ordnance »

Two many hoops to jump trough for me. If i couldn't keep them at home and take them to the range like any other firearm i wouldn't have one. Having said that good luck to anyone that has one or is getting one.
Sim G

#15 Post by Sim G »

ordnance wrote:Two many hoops to jump trough for me. If i couldn't keep them at home and take them to the range like any other firearm i wouldn't have one. Having said that good luck to anyone that has one or is getting one.

Exactly my sentiment. I'd rather have a Ruger Old Army at home than be able to keep a SR9 at a range....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
ordnance

#16 Post by ordnance »

PS If i did get a 7.3, a Glock would be last on my list. There are lots of more interesting and historic handguns out there.
Sim G

#17 Post by Sim G »

Amen to that!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
DanTheMan
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#18 Post by DanTheMan »

Hunter87 wrote:Just interested to hear if any members own any and if so were they hard to get?
Go for it, if you are starting up from scratch it's not easy but if you have a genuine collection to add to then it's definitely worth it and a bit easier.
Do join the HBSA and go to meetings etc, also consider building up a library of info to help build your particular collection.
TomH

#19 Post by TomH »

So what exactly can you do with your pistol when it's handed over to you at the site and how often?:
Section 7 was established primarily for the purpose of the preservation, collecting, demonstration, research and study of pistols of historic or heritage interest. Pistols may be used at the sites of storage for these purposes alone, and section 7 of the Act does not permit target practice or competition
I'm struggling to see the upside with this.
nickb834

#20 Post by nickb834 »

TomH wrote:So what exactly can you do with your pistol when it's handed over to you at the site and how often?:
Section 7 was established primarily for the purpose of the preservation, collecting, demonstration, research and study of pistols of historic or heritage interest. Pistols may be used at the sites of storage for these purposes alone, and section 7 of the Act does not permit target practice or competition
I'm struggling to see the upside with this.
The upside is - you get to shoot an otherwise section 5 firearm without having to beg and plead with the Home Office to give you S5 authority which is pretty fecking hard to get (IIRC there's circa 3.5k Individuals with S5 authority - Judges on terrorism cases etc, and I'd wager Salman Rushdie).

As usual the law is worded vaguely, no target practice - but then no definition of it? Surely any rounds shot at a target with anything approaching a modicum of care and atttention is target shooting practice?

So - you get to shoot something you want whenever the range is open that is otherwise prohibited, so what if you can't compete. I understand entirely that it's crap you can't compete, can't store it at home, can't transfer it without permission and so on - but is it better to say "sod that I'm not playing" or is it better to shoot within what's available?

It may well be that it's a usefull argument to repeal the 97 "ban" - by demonstrating that there is a not insignificant number of shooters shooting erstwhile S5 prohibited handguns and absolutely no drama has unfolded - ergo - relax the restrictions (pie in the sky I know).

But better that some people enjoy this as it is - rather than none of us enjoy it for what it isn't.