Slug Shooting

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

Re: Slug Shooting

#11 Post by the running man »

Wen I first got slug on my license I did a few ballistics tests, I found that they went straight through railway sleepers,and into the mud bank behind them! I also shot a close fox with one,the result was a split fox joined only by a bit of skin fur and bloody sinew, I sometimes use them on deer myself as I get called to crash sites by the rspca, and request me to expire the badly injured creature..............
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
Polchraine

#12 Post by Polchraine »

Sim G wrote:
meles meles wrote:Slug shooting ?

Hardly sporting is it ?

More humain than salt....... :squirrel:

Even better, reload with 15g of salt crystals in place of the lead!

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Sim G

#13 Post by Sim G »

Blackstuff wrote: Wish i had the money for that!! The only place i can get any at the moment wants £22 a box :G :bad:

Back in just 2009 i rattled through 150 slugs on the electric reactive targets on the field firing range at Otterburn which was great fun, particularly as the slugs were only £9.50 a box :good:

The sooner i get somewhere to put a reloading press the better!
No Mark, I'm not using factory slug, I couldn't afford that! Casting and loading my own.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Chuck

#14 Post by Chuck »

porcupine, the Safir T14 was (is) a 36cal (also available in .410) M16 style platform smoothbore shotgun.....10 -15 shot semi auto, just great fun and with the right ammo pretty hard hitting too.

It IS an ammo sensitive shotgun however.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
John25

#15 Post by John25 »

Sim G wrote:
Blackstuff wrote: Wish i had the money for that!! The only place i can get any at the moment wants £22 a box :G :bad:

Back in just 2009 i rattled through 150 slugs on the electric reactive targets on the field firing range at Otterburn which was great fun, particularly as the slugs were only £9.50 a box :good:

The sooner i get somewhere to put a reloading press the better!
No Mark, I'm not using factory slug, I couldn't afford that! Casting and loading my own.

Sim, what mold are you using and, are you buying primed cases or using once fired?

:cheers:
Sim G

#16 Post by Sim G »

John, I'm using the Lee 1oz slug. I thought of trying the 7/8th oz slug as well, but there doesn't seem to be any advantage with velocities, hence trajectory, from the published data.

I am using new primed cases at the minute as I can get them for just a tiny bit more money than primers alone! I have used fired cases and there were no issues with these. New primed cases also take a couple of stations out of the loading process so overall it's quicker.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

M99

#17 Post by M99 »

Sim G wrote:John, I'm using the Lee 1oz slug. I thought of trying the 7/8th oz slug as well, but there doesn't seem to be any advantage with velocities, hence trajectory, from the published data.

I am using new primed cases at the minute as I can get them for just a tiny bit more money than primers alone! I have used fired cases and there were no issues with these. New primed cases also take a couple of stations out of the loading process so overall it's quicker.
Who do you get your primed cases off Sim? As my source is way too expansive then!!
Sim G

#18 Post by Sim G »

There's one place here; http://www.metal2models.btinternet.co.uk/ where they are 62 quid a thousand, but are collect only. My other dealer did get some in at 44 quid a thousand, I'll give them a quick call.

These are the two places I use. How does that compare to what you're paying?

M99

#19 Post by M99 »

Ive just paid £94 for a Thousand primed, plain cases in 12g!
Sim G

#20 Post by Sim G »

Just spoke with the other dealer, she'll try and get some more at £44. If she does, even if postage for the big box is 20 pounds, it's a bit of a saving from 94! Let me know if you'd be interested in me putting your name on some if they come in.

Oh, and keep an eye out for the postman.