'New' pistol.

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa

Re: 'New' pistol.

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

Sim G wrote:Loads of nitro muzzle loading around now. Obviously, most are converted from blackpowder and use shotgun primers for ignition. Westlake made a couple of propriatory models and even converts a long barrel Taurus to a five inch barrelled, double action, "muzzle loading" .357 revolver! There was also the "Patriot". A UIT style, .32 cal target pistol that uses nitro.
I know of the Patriot pistol in fact I shoot long range with the the chap who designed it. Sadly it is rarer than a rare thing these days.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#12 Post by Sandgroper »

Sim G wrote:
Sandgroper wrote: Looking forward to seeing how it shoots - just need to get some 32 S&W Long loads researched.
For a while, I played with .32 S&W Long in my Marlin lever gun, in "uber-rare" .32 magnum. The best two powders I found in the Long were Hodgdons Tightgroup and Alliant Green Dot.

What bullets does it recommend, Grant? Ball, any, wad-cutters? Pure lead or alloy? I have some lovely RNFPFMJ if you want some sending up....... but allegedly the postman wouldn't get to you as it's snowing!! (Just heard from my mate on his way home to Thurso from Inverness!!)
I really don't know what is recommended. I have some 36 cal ball to try out, after that I'm at a loss. Titegroup is one of my favourite powders, I always have some handy! I was thinking of trying some trail boss loads, but I'm concerned the density will be too great for the 'chamber' of the pistol.

The lowest bullet weight I can find is 83 grains but the 36 cal ball is 65 grains, which is intriguing.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ovenpaa

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

Sandgroper, do you have the chamber dimensions?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#14 Post by Sandgroper »

ovenpaa wrote:Sandgroper, do you have the chamber dimensions?
No, but at a rough guess it appears to have a volume of about 2400 mm3!

Ovenpaa

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

Sandgroper wrote:No, but at a rough guess it appears to have a volume of about 2400 mm3!
Ah yes, I suppose it would have :oops:

I was trying to get something working with QuickLoad and was looking at 7 grains of Trailboss as a working example.
/d

Shed Journal
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#16 Post by Sandgroper »

ovenpaa wrote:
Sandgroper wrote:No, but at a rough guess it appears to have a volume of about 2400 mm3!
Ah yes, I suppose it would have :oops:

I was trying to get something working with QuickLoad and was looking at 7 grains of Trailboss as a working example.
:lol:

The volume is based on some very rough measurements with a cleaning rod! :shock:

7 grains would be way too much! IMR suggests 2 grains as a max load with 90 grain bullet. My concern with trail boss is that the pistol is designed around 'normal' pistol powders with a lower density.

Ovenpaa

#17 Post by Ovenpaa »

The odd thing is it would not let me go lower than 4 grains, looks like QL is not sorted for muzzle loaders with modern powders and balls....
/d

Shed Journal
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#18 Post by Mike357 »

A forum member on here is having just Taurus LBR converted by Alan Westlake in the next few.months. I can't wait to see it as I'm tempted, especially as Tayside are happy with an extra cylinder.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Sim G

#19 Post by Sim G »

ovenpaa wrote: I know of the Patriot pistol in fact I shoot long range with the the chap who designed it. Sadly it is rarer than a rare thing these days.

Oooh, really? He wouldn't have a load block lying around would he? A friend of mine has one and has somehow damaged this block which resulted in him cutting one of the end chambers off. It's now a 5 shot......
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sim G

#20 Post by Sim G »

Sandgroper wrote: I really don't know what is recommended. I have some 36 cal ball to try out, after that I'm at a loss. Titegroup is one of my favourite powders, I always have some handy! I was thinking of trying some trail boss loads, but I'm concerned the density will be too great for the 'chamber' of the pistol.

The lowest bullet weight I can find is 83 grains but the 36 cal ball is 65 grains, which is intriguing.
Been having a think about this. Slug the bore. When done, I reckon it's going to be about .313. If that's the case, get a full wad cutter, hollow base mould and cast them from pure lead and load according to the data......

This is an educated guess on what I know of how Westlake recommends the loading of the .357 Taurus muzzle loader. Standard .36 cal round ball (.373 to .375) may just be a tad on the large side!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!