'New' pistol.

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

'New' pistol.

#1 Post by Sandgroper »

My 'new' pistol, I picked up today. :shakeshout:

The bolt needs a new spring and the bolt handle needs some work (thanks Ovenpaa), but other than that it's in pretty good nick. Looking forward to seeing how it shoots - just need to get some 32 S&W Long loads researched.
DSCF0012.JPG
DSCF0014.JPG
DSCF0020.JPG
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Dangermouse

Re: 'New' pistol.

#2 Post by Dangermouse »

Interesting, I have not seen a modern BPP only modern revolvers. Looking at the sights it promises to be accurate, let us know how it shoots,

DM
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#3 Post by Sandgroper »

Dangermouse wrote:Interesting, I have not seen a modern BPP only modern revolvers. Looking at the sights it promises to be accurate, let us know how it shoots,

DM
Will do. :good:

I was actually looking for a revolver when I put in for a ML pistol.

My interest was pricked by this one by not needing to use BP, that, and my wife picking it up and saying, "Ooooh, that's nice!"

This probably means I'll be designated chief loader once she starts shooting it. :o

Dangermouse

#4 Post by Dangermouse »

I have purposely staid away from BP, so know little about the topic. I did not know that you could use non Black powder in ML Pistols, please tell me more,

DM
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

It does look the part, very nice. Are they still in production?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G

#6 Post by Sim G »

Dangermouse wrote:I have purposely staid away from BP, so know little about the topic. I did not know that you could use non Black powder in ML Pistols, please tell me more,

DM

Loads of nitro muzzle loading around now. Obviously, most are converted from blackpowder and use shotgun primers for ignition. Westlake made a couple of propriatory models and even converts a long barrel Taurus to a five inch barrelled, double action, "muzzle loading" .357 revolver! There was also the "Patriot". A UIT style, .32 cal target pistol that uses nitro.

The definition of muzzle loading guns does not include the use of any particular propellant, So, a front stuffer using Unique or Bullseye is no different to those using No2 Swiss or Pyrodex.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sim G

#7 Post by Sim G »

ovenpaa wrote:It does look the part, very nice. Are they still in production?

I'm sure Westlake makes them in limited runs, so you could still lay your hands on a new one if you were prepared to wait if necessary.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Dangermouse

#8 Post by Dangermouse »

Very interesting, I will keep an eye out for similar on the range - maybe something for later on,

DM
Sim G

#9 Post by Sim G »

Sandgroper wrote: Looking forward to seeing how it shoots - just need to get some 32 S&W Long loads researched.
For a while, I played with .32 S&W Long in my Marlin lever gun, in "uber-rare" .32 magnum. The best two powders I found in the Long were Hodgdons Tightgroup and Alliant Green Dot.

What bullets does it recommend, Grant? Ball, any, wad-cutters? Pure lead or alloy? I have some lovely RNFPFMJ if you want some sending up....... but allegedly the postman wouldn't get to you as it's snowing!! (Just heard from my mate on his way home to Thurso from Inverness!!)

Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#10 Post by Sandgroper »

ovenpaa wrote:It does look the part, very nice. Are they still in production?
That model (Phoenix) isn't in production any more.

http://westlakeengineering.com/4556.html