Self-loading Guns of Shot

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Tower75

Re: Self-loading Guns of Shot

#11 Post by Tower75 »

Cheers for the info, guys. That bit about using a S1 shotgun if it's not yours is interesting, and scary. Never knew that.

Am I right in thinking that; we can own a S1, self-loading shotgun, but we're not allowed revolving shotguns?

If so; eh... why? :?
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#12 Post by IainWR »

AHPP and all

Actually folks, no.

The prohibition on club use of semi-auto shotguns and LBRs / LBPs (all S1 firearms) stems from the wording used to define the priveliges of a Home Office Approved Club.

The relevant bit of legislation is S15 Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988.

The exemption in that section from the requirement to hold an FAC in order to possess a firearm applies only to rifles and muzzle-loading pistols within the conditions of the Approval of the Club. Thus shotguns and LBRs / LBPs, which are neither rifles nor MLPs, are outside the exemption.

In this case its not Plod making up laws, its the drafters of 25 years back writing bollox. But fixing it requires primary legislation and we are simply not signficant enough to get it done. Please, nobody do anything to make us significant enough.

And a late addition - a revolving shotgun, if it had more than 3 chambers, would be a S1 firearm.

Iain
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#13 Post by Blackstuff »

Re possession/use of S1 shotguns that aren't yours, yes officially you can't use them but remember it is reasonable for you to try before you buy, if you went into a gun shop and handled and/or shot one (if the RFD has the facilities) do you think the police would bring a case against you? Now want about if you're trying before you buy second hand from an individual? ;) O:-)
DVC
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#14 Post by Sandgroper »

IainWR wrote: And a late addition - a revolving shotgun, if it had more than 3 chambers, would be a S1 firearm.

Iain
No. Unless as stated below, revolver shotguns are S5 (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/45/section/1)

Prohibited weapons and ammunition.(1)Section 5 of the M1Firearms Act 1968 (in this Act referred to as “the principal Act”) shall have effect with the following amendments the purpose of which is to extend the class of prohibited weapons and ammunition, that is to say weapons and ammunition the possession, purchase, acquisition, manufacture, sale or transfer of which requires the authority of the Secretary of State.
(2)For paragraph (a) of subsection (1) there shall be substituted—
(ad)any smooth-bore revolver gun other than one which is chambered for 9mm. rim-fire cartridges or loaded at the muzzle end of each chamber;
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#15 Post by IainWR »

Oops.

Iain
Tower75

#16 Post by Tower75 »

Ok, so why are revolving shotguns S5? What makes a revolving cylinder so "evil" and illegal?

Seems silly that I can possess a S1, self-loading shotgun fitted with a 20-round drum, loaded with slug, but I cannot own a revolving shotgun
AHPP

#17 Post by AHPP »

I say that what is known as a LBP/LBR is just a rifle. It has a rifled barrel and is over 300mm/600mm.
I am no different to the police (who say things are the other way round and that a MLP/MLR is a special thing). I interpret one way, they interpret another. Court would decide.

Don't believe me, ask a solicitor.
Porcupine

#18 Post by Porcupine »

Tower.75 wrote:Ok, so why are revolving shotguns S5? What makes a revolving cylinder so "evil" and illegal?

Seems silly that I can possess a S1, self-loading shotgun fitted with a 20-round drum, loaded with slug, but I cannot own a revolving shotgun
Welcome to gun control :good:
Porcupine

#19 Post by Porcupine »

AHPP wrote:I say that what is known as a LBP/LBR is just a rifle. It has a rifled barrel and is over 300mm/600mm.
I am no different to the police (who say things are the other way round and that a MLP/MLR is a special thing). I interpret one way, they interpret another. Court would decide.

Don't believe me, ask a solicitor.
From Merriam-Webster's Dictionary:
Rifle noun

1 a : a shoulder weapon with a rifled bore
LBPs and LBRs are obviously not 'shoulder weapons'. Every law needs interpreting but if you went to court and said an LBR was a rifle and therefore it was ok for you to lend it to your friend at a club, you'd lose. Unless of course it is fitted with a shoulder stock - which some clubs have done.
saddler

#20 Post by saddler »

Tower.75 wrote:Ok, so why are revolving shotguns S5? What makes a revolving cylinder so "evil" and illegal?

Why is anything Section 5?
Just how those that draw up the legislation choose to exert their unbiaised expert opinions...

Only joking...for some their knowledge of the existence of a revolving shotgun was purely down to the "Dogs of War" movie...same as their outcry against "Rambo" knives, "Dirty Harry" magnums, etc. etc.

Hollywood and TV being as close to reality as some politicians will ever hope to get...