Self-loading Guns of Shot

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Tower75

Self-loading Guns of Shot

#1 Post by Tower75 »

Hi all.

Now I know nothing about shotguns, I mean, I know what a shotgun is and how to half-use one, but that's it.

I was just curious, I know that you can own a self-loading shotgun if it's a Section 1 "firearm", but what I'm not sure on is; are the self-loading "firearm" shotguns we're allowed restricted to 12 bore only?

Don't worry, I have no desire to try and get my hands on a self-loading 4-bore or anything. Just curious is all.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: Self-loading Guns of Shot

#2 Post by kennyc »

to the best of my knowledge you can own a semi auto shotgun as long as it is limited to 3 cartridge capacity, and they are available in several gauges, 12. 410 etc, for more than 3 carts you need to apply for an FAC slot as they are section 1
Sim G

#3 Post by Sim G »

Semi shotguns come in both S1 and S2 flavours. As for bore size, whatever is available....... (as long as it doesn't exceed 2 inches on S2).
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
saddler

#4 Post by saddler »

Self-loading shotguns are available in calibres from 410 to 10-bore...
Which licence they come on depends on cartridge capacity. More than 2 cartridges in the magazine puts them on an FAC.
Either version MUST have a 24" barrel as minimum...or the gun becomes Section 5.
Another anomaly = you can legally use a Section 2 shotgun that belongs to someone else; it is illegal to use a Section 1 shotgun that is not on your own FAC.
Michael Sproul

#5 Post by Michael Sproul »

saddler wrote:Another anomaly = you can legally use a Section 2 shotgun that belongs to someone else; it is illegal to use a Section 1 shotgun that is not on your own FAC.
Saddler, does that also stand for club activities?
M99

#6 Post by M99 »

Michael Sproul wrote:
saddler wrote:Another anomaly = you can legally use a Section 2 shotgun that belongs to someone else; it is illegal to use a Section 1 shotgun that is not on your own FAC.
Yes it does - same for LBP

Mike
M99

#7 Post by M99 »

Michael Sproul wrote:
Yes it does - same for LBP

Mike
AHPP

#8 Post by AHPP »

The LBP thing is all b0llocks. They're over 300mm/600mm and that's that.
saddler

#9 Post by saddler »

AHPP wrote:The LBP thing is all b0llocks. They're over 300mm/600mm and that's that.
Same could be said about a lot of laws, but the fact remains that under current UK law you are not allowed to use a LBP, or a S.1 s/g, if they are not on your own FAC

Hence the recent Alan Westlake "club carbine", which has Home Office approval...nothing more than a LBP with a removable stock.
AHPP

#10 Post by AHPP »

Not the law. Police trying to make the law up.
Don't belive me? Check the statute books.
Still don't believe me? Ask a solicitor to walk you through it.