All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

BestDrugDoc
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Felton and District Rifle Club

Re: Benelli Supernova first impressions

#11 Post by BestDrugDoc »

Did some patterning and targets today.

I found that the best choke was improved cylinder for birdshot, SG buckshot and slug.

Thats handy as I would prefer not to be bothered with changing chokes.....
physeptone

#12 Post by physeptone »

I've never patterned targets (but i probably should!)
That said i shot the 'field' stage at Shield yesterday and knocked down each the metal targets with buckshot first time, i saw others struggling (one guy with a semi put six rounds on one plate as fast as he could pull the trigger to double/triple/six? tap it and it still didnt fall!), so wherever my gun throws the best pattern i am in tune with it ;)

Tube length- i forget off hand, so i checked my midway invoice from way back, but it doesnt state the length of the tube and since the midway website upgrade i cant log in ****
However the part number is 633995, which confirms it is indeed the 5 round extension
http://www.midwayuk.com/epages/Midway_U ... cts/633995

I have the Nordic clamp - as Blackstuff found out the hard way- it will damage your barrel. To prevent/reduce this i cut sections of duck tape and stuck them to the inside of the clamp before i fitted it. Its working ok so far. You have to remove the clamp to strip the gun down for deep cleaning but i try to avoid this! (i find only really need to take barrel off when i have shot plastic wads, so in my case slug as i use fibre for everything else). Will try and upload phot later, but doing job application at moment fingerscrossed
BestDrugDoc
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#13 Post by BestDrugDoc »

Thanks for the info Physeptone.

I would be interested in a photo - but in the meantime - hope the job application goes well!
Ovenpaa

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

A friend has just picked up a Benelli Vinci, it is an ex demo so all blinged up and it seemed OK.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#15 Post by Blackstuff »

physeptone wrote: Tube length- i forget off hand, so i checked my midway invoice from way back, but it doesnt state the length of the tube and since the midway website upgrade i cant log in ****
However the part number is 633995, which confirms it is indeed the 5 round extension
http://www.midwayuk.com/epages/Midway_U ... cts/633995
Well call me the man in the orthopaedic shoes! :oops: :lol:

Bestdrugdoc- What cartridges were you using for the buck and bird and what distance(s) did you pattern at?
DVC
BestDrugDoc
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#16 Post by BestDrugDoc »

I used cheapy Kent Velocity and Lyalvale High Velocity 28g in 7.5 with fibre wads for the birdshot and SG buckshot - may be gamebore (can't remember as not at home). Patterned at 10 and 25 yards.

I sighted the slug at 25 and 50 yards - it was very noticeable how much the modified choke dropped POI compared to improved cylinder. With IC the slug is still rising from 25 to 50 yds by about 4 inches and grouping is good.

Pity slug are so expensive!
phaedra1106

#17 Post by phaedra1106 »

Tidied this up so it makes a bit more sense (I hope!).

I put my FAC in for 3 1 for 1 variations last week after selling 3 guns, asked for a Sec.1 shotgun, .223 rifle and a .22LR rifle (which I'd had already but sold.

Just had a call from Firearms licensing, why do I want a sec.1 shotgun?, for target/practical shotgun as I put on the variation I took in, OK then, no problem. Why do I want solid slugs?, same answer, can't have them for at least 2 weeks as the manager is on hols until the 25th and needs to make a decision!. What's my good reason for wanting a .223?, er ....... because I want one to shoot?, and why do I want a 22LR?, because it's a 1 for 1 and I want a different rifle to the one I just sold.

Apparently if I want I can have my FAC back, so I asked if the variations (apart from the slugs) would be on it?, not much point otherwise may as well wait the 2 weeks or so, yes but will have to bring it back again when/if they decide I can be trusted with slugs.
Last edited by phaedra1106 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
saddler

#18 Post by saddler »

BestDrugDoc wrote:Pity slug are so expensive!
...roll your own!!

I have 2 very good slug molds - so don't have a supply/cost issue with slug anymore

MAY offer slug as a reloading component, but only once I sort out a decent lead pot/melter
BestDrugDoc
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#19 Post by BestDrugDoc »

phaedra1106 - is it the Durham force? Northumbria have always been fine with my stuff - I just try and cover all the bases in my accompanying letter so they dont need to ask any more questions - makes it simple for them hopefully.

saddler - if I had reloading stuff I would be very tempted....
phaedra1106

#20 Post by phaedra1106 »

Indeed, Sunny County Durham smile2

Not really had any problems with them, added a second .308 and they stuck it on in under a week no questions asked.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)