Benelli Supernova first impressions

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

BestDrugDoc
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Felton and District Rifle Club

Benelli Supernova first impressions

#1 Post by BestDrugDoc »

My new Supernova has arrived in FAC (4+1) guise with a pistol grip, synthetic black stock and 24" multichoke barrel.

Hooray! And I seemed to get a good deal at my local RFD and didnt in the end part exchange my Webley 20b.

First thing to say is its a bit of a beast - not in a bad way though. It certainly looks as though it means business. Personally I think the pistol grip version looks better than a standard stock - but of course that is personal preference.

Seems to be made very well and does exactly what it says on the tin. 3 interchangeable chokes is about the sum total of included accessories, but thats absolutely fine. The reciever is drilled and plugged with 4 plugs for rail mounting etc.

Racking is smooth and predictable with no feed issues. Recoil with 28g 7.5 fibre wad is fine - better than I thought it would be for a pump. And the pistol grip version doesnt have the comfortech recoil reduction inserts of the standard stock either.

Up front the flourescent (or whatever it is) bead is good and there is a small one nearer the receiver which is just a knob of metal. If you actually line these up, the patterning is almost spot on - perhaps slightly high, but I think this is good for practical shooting. I found modified choke to give the most useable patterns up to 25 yds. It also comes with improved cylinder and full. Full seems to open up at distance more than modified.

Trigger is fine but slight gripe about the action release button which is well forward and serrated....much prefer the mossberg pump set up for this. That said, I think it is just a question of getting used to it.

I am looking forward to getting some SG buckshot and slug to see how it does with them - i am really hoping I can just keep the same choke in.....someone tell me if it would be bad to use the modified one with slug!

Then it will be on to the PSG circuit as much as time and money allow. By the way I can reccommend the UKPSA course (did it at Carlisle and Crocketford) for anyone wanting to do PSG.

Hopefully that brief description is helpful to someone - so far I can defiinately recommend it especially given the price (£570 with 50 shells thrown in).

Now then, how long an extension tube should I get??
John25

Re: Benelli Supernova first impressions

#2 Post by John25 »

Great gun, I have one and love it, although I use my SX3 mostly nowadays.

As for the extension tube, it depends what PSG class you want to shoot it. (mine is longer than the barrel - 11 in it).

If you use one that long, and load more than eight, you become 'modified' and shoot in a different class.

I recommend that you get a condition (free) added to your certificate, which allows you to shoot clays. It raises many an eyebrow at clay grounds.

The Benelli is certainly a fun gun!

:shakeshout:
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

Good choice :good: My only gripe with the Supernova is that you can't apply rearward pressure to the pump while you're shooting so when you pull the trigger the pump comes back immediately afterwards. Probably some safety feature but it can be done with other guns e.g. A Remmy 870. Sometimes it locks and you have to push it forward a fraction of an inch before you can pull it back, which can throw you right off your rhythm sign01

I asked (as did someone else) on the UKPSA website if this can be 'fixed' with some smithing but noone responded :bad:

There's a PSG practice match with my local club this weekend so i might wheel out the Supernova for some fun! :twisted:

Oh and most people with a 24" Supernova go for a Nordic +6 mag extension as this will be almost perfectly flush with the barrel. I've got a 26" barrel with a +7 which just sticks out beyond it.

DVC
BestDrugDoc
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by BestDrugDoc »

Thanks for the comments and advice.

Blackstuff - what choke do you use for birdshot, buckshot and slug?
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

BestDrugDoc wrote:Thanks for the comments and advice.

Blackstuff - what choke do you use for birdshot, buckshot and slug?
For the last 3 years i've ran a modified choke for everything (as i'm too lazy to keep changing it out :roll: ) and will continue to do so for bird and buck shot. However i've noticed those who score best with slug are usually running cylinder so next slug match i've going to give that a bash. You can put 'finned' slugs (see pic below) through any choke up to and including Full, however the accuracy usually suffers. I personally wouldn't put ball/straight walled or the type of slugs that look like giant airgun pellets through anything tigher than Modified (1/2)

DVC
physeptone

#6 Post by physeptone »

Welcome to the Supernova club, sure you will be very happy with it :shakeshout:

I too have the 24" pistol grip variant. I bought the nordic extension that brought me up to the end of the barrel so looks very neat (well i think so anyway!)

Last weekend though i lost the mid rib (silver) bead... it fell off and went walkies somewhere at Shield :(
So you might want to watch that (i thought it was fixed in -its not, its screwed in as i now know)

For tube i would only recommend getting Nordic as they are the best! If you want the best price (puts Midway to shame!) go to Rude Fat Dog via this website http://www.blackguns.co.uk/nordic_components.html as tehy have been appointed UK distributor. A word of warning though, you will have to wait for the stock to come in, but i hear that can be the case from Midway too.
BestDrugDoc
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#7 Post by BestDrugDoc »

Thanks for the replies and advice guys.

Physeptone - I think the +5 nordic extension tube is the one that sits flush with the end - is that right? And I assume you have the nordic barrel clamp?
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

BestDrugDoc wrote:Thanks for the replies and advice guys.

Physeptone - I think the +5 nordic extension tube is the one that sits flush with the end - is that right? And I assume you have the nordic barrel clamp?
I've almost certain its the +6 that fits flush with a 24" barrel, but Physeptone should be able to confirm that. As a word of warning about the NC barrel clamp, it has no padding underneath and unless you tighten it down to an insane level, it will move on the gun and spoil the finish on the barrel. **** This has happened to my M2 (note shiney section to the front, which is also repeated to the rear;

I've stopped this by putting 2 pieces of very thin leather between the clamp and the barrel but the damage is done now :cry: You also need to have an allen key handy if you want to remove it/dismantle the gun.

On my Supernova i've just got a cheapy sling mount barrel/mag clamp which does the job, doesn't damage the barrel and can be taken off without any tools :good:
DVC
saddler

#9 Post by saddler »

Blackstuff wrote: I've stopped this by putting 2 pieces of very thin leather between the clamp and the barrel but the damage is done now :cry: :
If you keep cutting them up to fix your guns then I'm not selling you any more gimp masks!! :run: tongueout

OP should have bought an 870 - keep it olde skool bigteeth
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#10 Post by Blackstuff »

Well if you didn't have such a fine job modelling them Jon . . . :lol:
DVC