Section 7.3 handguns

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

TomH

Re: Section 7.3 handguns

#21 Post by TomH »

nickb834 wrote:
TomH wrote:So what exactly can you do with your pistol when it's handed over to you at the site and how often?:
Section 7 was established primarily for the purpose of the preservation, collecting, demonstration, research and study of pistols of historic or heritage interest. Pistols may be used at the sites of storage for these purposes alone, and section 7 of the Act does not permit target practice or competition
I'm struggling to see the upside with this.
The upside is - you get to shoot an otherwise section 5 firearm without having to beg and plead with the Home Office to give you S5 authority which is pretty fecking hard to get (IIRC there's circa 3.5k Individuals with S5 authority - Judges on terrorism cases etc, and I'd wager Salman Rushdie).

As usual the law is worded vaguely, no target practice - but then no definition of it? Surely any rounds shot at a target with anything approaching a modicum of care and atttention is target shooting practice?

So - you get to shoot something you want whenever the range is open that is otherwise prohibited, so what if you can't compete. I understand entirely that it's crap you can't compete, can't store it at home, can't transfer it without permission and so on - but is it better to say "sod that I'm not playing" or is it better to shoot within what's available?

It may well be that it's a usefull argument to repeal the 97 "ban" - by demonstrating that there is a not insignificant number of shooters shooting erstwhile S5 prohibited handguns and absolutely no drama has unfolded - ergo - relax the restrictions (pie in the sky I know).

But better that some people enjoy this as it is - rather than none of us enjoy it for what it isn't.
So basically you "research" and "study" the hell out of it. lol
StangGT

#22 Post by StangGT »

I've got my first 7.3 pistol; an armalon xdm. First shoot was a couple of weeks back and was a total hoot (I mean was very informative and hopefully aided the maintenance of my historic pistol). Not sure what to go for next. I'd like a revolver but not sure how to find out what qualifies...
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#23 Post by snayperskaya »

StangGT wrote:I've got my first 7.3 pistol; an armalon xdm. First shoot was a couple of weeks back and was a total hoot (I mean was very informative and hopefully aided the maintenance of my historic pistol). Not sure what to go for next. I'd like a revolver but not sure how to find out what qualifies...
Nagant M1895 perhaps?.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
StangGT

#24 Post by StangGT »

Like it. What's ammo availability like? I fancy a webley service revolver but the ammo seems scarce.
DanTheMan
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#25 Post by DanTheMan »

StangGT wrote:Like it. What's ammo availability like? I fancy a webley service revolver but the ammo seems scarce.
G&G can get it but £80 per 100, easier to reload it using .30 M1 dies.
Robert303

#26 Post by Robert303 »

You are best reloading for Sec 7.3. I am told that if you are at Bisley Fultons sell .455 revolver ammunition.
It's not a case of 'I fancy' an XYZ it's a case of I want an XYZ as part of my collection, the theme of which is 'Interwar Pistol Engineering' / Firearms of the Austro Hungarian / British Service Revolvers 1880 to 1970 etc etc. We have to be careful about this. Those who would like to do way with Sec 7.3 look for any breaches of conditions and if they read forums like this they can use casual comments against us. As to courses of fire think about it. You are 'Recreating' the Musketry Practice of abc / the Police standard drill of xyz or whatever else you can find which might happen to be the Anno Domini 1980 Meeting.
greenshoots

#27 Post by greenshoots »

Home Office to give you S5 authority
correct me if im wrong but dont those people who put their brococks onticket already have this

greenshoots
nickb834

#28 Post by nickb834 »

Not 100% sure on what's being asked?

S5 authority from the Home Office is one thing. Whilst section 7.1 / 3 grants firearm access that otherwise would require S5 authority - hence it's administered by the police as opposed to by the Home Office in the case of S5.

That make sense?