Range closers because of Covid-19

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sim G

Re: Range closers because of Covid-19

#21 Post by Sim G »

That they're staying open and people regard it as a good idea to attend with a "surely relatively easy to keep a two metre separation" attitude!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#22 Post by GeeRam »

Probably 60% of our club members are in the 'at risk' category...... wtf
Christel
Site Admin

#23 Post by Christel »

GeeRam wrote:Probably 60% of our club members are in the 'at risk' category...... wtf
A lot of small clubs are like that.
Plumose
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#24 Post by Plumose »

Sim G wrote:That they're staying open and people regard it as a good idea to attend with a "surely relatively easy to keep a two metre separation" attitude!
Thanks, that makes sense.

There are so many people that want to believe this is all a fuss over nothing, and it can be hard to tell which way someone is leaning.

I work in IT for a university medical research department, and the staff there are taking it seriously so I am too.
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
Sim G

#25 Post by Sim G »

And I think you are exactly right. This is NOT the flu. There is no immunity, there is no vaccine and it proves fatal in some cases. The World Health Organisation have never seen such a virus that is so easily transmittable between people. It affects people differently. You could be virused up to the eye balls and show very little symptoms at all, but are unconsciously infecting objects and people everywhere you go. The only thing at present that will slow right down, then hopefully stop this, is that those already infected do not infect anyone else.

But all the while people won't do this, play down the seriousness or just say "eff you", this won't run its course. It's everyone's civic duty to do everything they can in order to prevent the spread. Wash your hands, avoid social and reduce professional contact and conduct yourselves accordingly in he grocery store! The level of selfishness being displayed all over the place is sickening.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Plumose
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#26 Post by Plumose »

I agree, it has been shown in Italy that a significant percentage of people tested positive have no symptoms.

Social distancing is the best bet for everyone.

I am currently required to be at work to enable others to be set up to work from home, but by sending just about everyone else home it minimises the risk to everyone.
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
Alpha1

#27 Post by Alpha1 »

Good afternoon all,

Please be advised that due to coronavirus we are cancelling all non-essential TPI bids. M----- and V---are currently processing your bids on BAMS – I have seen quite a few rejection/cancellation emails from BAMS this morning.

I will keep you updated, but if you have any queries please let me know.

Kind Regards,

Received this from landmarc to day. Obviously I have not shown the full content of the email. So they are shutting down MOD ranges.
This makes a mockery of the NRA response that I received all most at the same time more or less telling me its business as usual.
rox

#28 Post by rox »

Sim G wrote:That they're staying open and people regard it as a good idea to attend with a "surely relatively easy to keep a two metre separation" attitude!
I shot there on Tuesday and didn't touch anything I hadn't brought with me, or come within 10m of another person, apart from booking-in through perspex screens. I did see yesterday a group of about 10, all clustered on the FP together - obstructing safety sight-lines, unnecessarily wearing-out the turf and p1$$1ng-off anyone nearby with their nattering, just like any normal day.
andy1979
Home club or Range: Wednesbury Marksmen

#29 Post by andy1979 »

Wednesbury Marksmen is still open but i'm expecting tonight to be the last probation night for a while.

Hopefully i'll be able to complete my full membership paperwork tonight to come into effect next week.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#30 Post by Pippin89 »

Sim G wrote:The only thing at present that will slow right down, then hopefully stop this, is that those already infected do not infect anyone else.
Not exactly true I'm afraid. We are past the point where it can be stopped. It WILL reach everyone and infect an estimated 80-90% of the population. There is nothing that can be done about that now. And so far the indications are that there IS an immunity. Only one case of someone getting it twice, which could be a false test or just someone with a poor immune system....

So in fact the only thing that will stop now is everyone getting it as quickly as possible which would happen by everyone who is infected running around and licking everyone they see! The trouble with that is that the NHS can't cope with all the severe cases all at one time (roughly 15% of people who get it have severe reactions) and so we need to slow it down. We can't stop it but we can delay it.

The actions being taken right now are doing 2 things. Firstly they are delaying the big impact until after the flu season so that the NHS aren't so stretched, and they are spreading the big impact out over a longer period of time which means equipment and personnel are more available when people need it.