New GSG 1911 - First impressions

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

38Super
Home club or Range: FDPC

Re: New GSG 1911 - First impressions

#31 Post by 38Super »

morph007 wrote:Hi 38Super, maybe it's me but I cant find any Novak Red dot mounts, where did you get yours.
This is what I used:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAC-Vector-Op ... 1e925b16fd

I got this before I knew about the dovetail size. This is a standard dovetail fitting but the 'wedge' style fitting is (I think) better for the GSG. In an ideal world I would have got a machinist to make up a filler to convert the Novak dovetail to standard as it was I managed to make up a couple of shims which, together with the supplied wedge, fitted the dovetail nicely and (more by luck than judgement) appears to work. fingerscrossed

This mount has the added benefit of curving over the slide so even if it does come loose it doesn't move much and won't actually come off until both screws undo themselves.
Countryman

#32 Post by Countryman »

Good to meet you yesterday 38Super.

Any day on the range is better than a day at work!!
38Super

#33 Post by 38Super »

Countryman wrote:Any day on the range is better than a day at work!!
On the other hand I really love my job and I had terrible score yesterday :squirrel:
Sailor

#34 Post by Sailor »

How would people compare this lbp to the k22? I keep seeing the 1911 everywhere and really like the look of it and am now half decided whether to keep saving for the k22 or just go and buy a 1911.
safetyfirst

#35 Post by safetyfirst »

Having owned both, I'm very happy with my K22. The build quality, materials, accuracy of the K22 are with the extra money.

The gsg is an excellent fun gun and a great introduction pistol.

Having said that, I had one from a couple years back but nobody has said much about changes in these new ones.
ordnance

#36 Post by ordnance »

38Super wrote:The latest accessory for my GSG.
Red dot sight fitted.jpg
Only a cheapo sight to see if I like the position and that the mount is up to the job.

This is about the best I can do with irons. 10 shots at 25m on a PL8. I'm quite sure the GSG is capable of better.
GSG Best group.jpg
The ruler isn't mine in case you're wondering.
I would be happy if I shot that target, with my Walther colt 1911 .22.
38Super

#37 Post by 38Super »

Sailor wrote:How would people compare this lbp to the k22? I keep seeing the 1911 everywhere and really like the look of it and am now half decided whether to keep saving for the k22 or just go and buy a 1911.
For what it's worth (and my opinion is hardly unbiased) there is no doubt that the K22 is significantly better quality (and significantly more expensive) than the GSG. The K22 is built from steel and polymer like a modern firearm and many of the GSG's problems (past and present) are due the the light alloy it is made of. I'm told that the K22's are very reliable and come with 10 round mags as standard. My experience with the GSG is that it has been extremely reliable with it's original 10 round mags. The problems start when users start messing with the manufacturers spec. :oops:

A lot depends on what you want an LBP for? Serious target work? Go for a buckmark or an LBR. Just a tool to have some cheap fun on the range? then go for whatever floats your boat. I enjoy messing with my guns and like that there is already a substantial industry in spares and accessories for the GSG albeit in the US and hard to get hold of. The first full bore handgun I ever shot was a 1911 A1 and I can still remember those 7 rounds of 45 ACP that put such a big smile on my face. Pre '98 my competition tool was a 1911 in 38Super (what else?) so the GSG just feels right to me.

The K22 is definitely better quality than the GSG. Is it twice as much fun? I know what I think. green55
Sailor

#38 Post by Sailor »

safetyfirst wrote:Having owned both, I'm very happy with my K22. The build quality, materials, accuracy of the K22 are with the extra money.

Having said that, I had one from a couple years back but nobody has said much about changes in these new ones.
Saying the gsg is a good introduction pistol puts me off a bit. My use would at first be a bit of fun but that would eventually (I'm hoping) turn into some competition shooting.
qws

#39 Post by qws »

Sailor wrote:
safetyfirst wrote:Having owned both, I'm very happy with my K22. The build quality, materials, accuracy of the K22 are with the extra money.

Saying the gsg is a good introduction pistol puts me off a bit. My use would at first be a bit of fun but that would eventually (I'm hoping) turn into some competition shooting.
Why not go down to Bisley at the end of month you can then also see the Sig P226 LBP from Icon and the Glock 17 LBP from Suffolk, you can then do a comparison etc - Specially before parting with the hard earned !!!!!! I am going to collect my new Sig from Mike at Icon Arms and also wanting to see the new Glock as I still have a second open slot for another LBP.
Sailor

#40 Post by Sailor »

I intend to be there!