'New' pistol.

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Sim G

Re: 'New' pistol.

#31 Post by Sim G »

A .36 ball, no powder and just the shotgun primer makes a great "saloon pistol" (I have a nitro converted Navy). Length of a garage into a bucket of play sand brought in for the winter....... allegedly!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#32 Post by Sandgroper »

Sim G wrote:A .36 ball, no powder and just the shotgun primer makes a great "saloon pistol" (I have a nitro converted Navy). Length of a garage into a bucket of play sand brought in for the winter....... allegedly!
Don't tempt me, Sim! I understand a primed 223 case and 22 air rifle pellet works pretty well also! :shifty:

But now that you've mentioned it...I wonder http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpa ... mID=713633 :-P
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#33 Post by Sandgroper »

New bolt handle fitted courtesy of Ovenpaa. sign92 :goodjob:
BH1.jpg
BH2.jpg
Old bolt handle
boltandcollar.jpg
Just need to order some belleville washers for the firing pin spring and I'll be good to go! :shakeshout:

Ovenpaa

#34 Post by Ovenpaa »

Looks like it needs a polish :lol:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#35 Post by the running man »

Looking good mate, you you see alans creations and others at these arms fairs and you think,ummmm shall I? Well I had one of the remmington nitro conversions,it was ok,but then after I got rid I missed it!,I think its great you have a little novelty in your cabinet,I'm sure we all have our little "fun gun" or novelty factor gun,what ever you want to call it.....personally I've an old bsa no 12,it cost me £150,I cleaned the bore for 3 days,striped the wood,hot iron and t toweled out the dinks and dents,rubbed it down a shade,oiled the wood again and again over 2 months,oil and wire wooled the pits and rust off the barrel,and brasso offed the reticule holder! It looks like new,and do you know what! Its still only worth £150! :lol: :lol:
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
Ovenpaa

#36 Post by Ovenpaa »

I like it and would give it house room. Looking at this reminds me I am also intrigued by the idea of building a muzzle loader that is cocked by a top slide and ejects the primer afterwards.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#37 Post by Sandgroper »

I usually go for for the novelty factor - sometimes not the most practical but usually the most fun! :lol:

One gripe is that it's a bit fiddly to seat the shotgun primers as there isn't a lot of room to get your fingers in, but it's hardly a problem in the scheme of things. It's a keeper! :grin:

When I spoke with Ovenpaa about the handle, I did mention that it would be great if you could seat the primer in the bolt, then closing the bolt seats the primer in the nipple. Opening the bolt then extracts the spent primer.
ovenpaa wrote:I like it and would give it house room. Looking at this reminds me I am also intrigued by the idea of building a muzzle loader that is cocked by a top slide and ejects the primer afterwards.
Slide action cocking would be nice. :good:

How about taking it one step further and have some sort of blowback action that automatically ejects the primer? :G