Europa LBR

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Sixshot6

Re: Europa LBR

#41 Post by Sixshot6 »

joe wrote:
Sixshot6 wrote:
joe wrote:Building or "converting" a centre Fire lbp would be same as .22lr lbp ie if icon arms bring in dismantled frames and parts minus the barrel then build anything they want
Unless a secret memo from the homeoffice have warned that any RFD making a centre Fire lbp is going too far and going against the spirit of the ban and will be punished very harhly :(

Well Richard Wilson gave the impression that virgin frames i.e. frames never assembled into it fully (Westlake brings in his nitro muzzle loaders minus a cylinder so it seems for a revolver, up to having a barrel and the rest but no cylinder and the yoke is considered to still be a frame, someone with more knowledge will have to clarify this, but to date Westlake is a free man as is anyone who has bought one).

The memo wouldn't be secret, it would be public knowledge. I think the test there is to ensure its not easily convertible to semi auto.

Apparently the first LBP lever release 1911 failed on this, the two SVI guys might have succeeded but lost interest. I don't know. All I can say is a not fully assembled frame seems the best bet. Some police forces and the border force will give their blessing to actually assembled pistols being taken apart and used to build an LBP, but its the ones that might object that are the problem. In essence, the existence of centrefire LBR's shows that it is not a problem to build and sell a centrefire. Its how a gun derived from a semi auto design can be legal. Have you called and asked Scott yet? I keep meaning to ask him everytime I've saw him but always forget. I think he might be a bit busy at the moment though.

Scott ? Is that guy at icon ? I have only emailed him he did reply that he might consider it ! Hopfully he will be at the Phonix ! I like the idea of grand power MARS lbp but don't like idea of not having a slide release on the pistol though
Scott as in Scott Rodgers at CCA, not Icon. You mean releasing the slide and that chambering the first round. Given how the VZ58 MARS works, it might need two trigger pulls after that slide release or even the slide release be operated by that trigger pull. Its all theoretical though as I am not aware of anything being other than "Considered". But if something could sell for £1500-1750, it would compete with the Europa, still wouldn't be cheap but it would still be in reach.
joe

#42 Post by joe »

If we are going down the MARS system route then i would want both slide release and a trigger release
I pefer the sig it looks the bo...cks
Sixshot6

#43 Post by Sixshot6 »

joe wrote:If we are going down the MARS system route then i would want both slide release and a trigger release
I pefer the sig it looks the bo...cks
You won't know until you ask and I don't know if I mentioned but a full 12 inch barrel does seem to interfere with the operation of the gun when in a cal other than 22 rim fire and the barrel has to be back bored instead. Once again it boils down to getting it to work. It probably can be done somehow but will take time to accomplish.

There is also the matter of getting a builder interested in doing it in the time they have away from their other stuff (22 Sigs for Icon and MARS action VZ58s and other stuff for CCA). I've had some ideas of what to do, I seem to recall finding a Turkish company that did Colt Python copies and I thought that might be an idea, but it seems Pythons weren't the ideal guns they are made out to be (I have had at least two people go onto smiths pre 1997 due to problems the developed).

One idea I used to have was that norinco was said to have made a copy of the model 10 smith. Due to how secretive Chinese arms factories are, its hard to tell when, for how long and if they would make them again. But as Norinco have been known to do limited run stuff for Canada, Australia and New Zealand, its a possibility to at least ask if they could make the frames. If they could be persuaded to make enough frames then a 38 special based LBR would be a possibility then. For now that is a pipe dream also. It was called the NP50 before you ask. At this stage, anything is worth a try.
Sim G

#44 Post by Sim G »

Sixshot6 wrote: I seem to recall finding a Turkish company that did Colt Python copies and I thought that might be an idea, but it seems Pythons weren't the ideal guns they are made out to be (I have had at least two people go onto smiths pre 1997 due to problems the developed).

I take it you're referring to the "Turkish Pythons" being not what they were made out to be and not the proper Colt?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sixshot6

#45 Post by Sixshot6 »

Sim G wrote:
Sixshot6 wrote: I seem to recall finding a Turkish company that did Colt Python copies and I thought that might be an idea, but it seems Pythons weren't the ideal guns they are made out to be (I have had at least two people go onto smiths pre 1997 due to problems the developed).

I take it you're referring to the "Turkish Pythons" being not what they were made out to be and not the proper Colt?
Yes and no and at least a couple of people told me 1997 they saw the Colts were not as good guns. One guy in particular, his father had one, something broke on the trigger, it was fixed and it felt it was not the same afterwards. He sold, got a Richard Wilson blueprinted and modded model 38 and loved it.

I guess I was trying to say that anything serious is what a 686 or even a 64 frame is good for. Who knows, maybe colt in their current financial state could be convinced to make some LBR Single action armys. They've started making Short barrel rifles for the US market and with the NFA act their sales of those will only be in the 100's. I think Viking arms are within their rights to request some LBR SA's and some straight pull AR's. Who knows. One turkish guns, alot of European companies, Beretta included appear to have used Turkish factories to make either parts or in some cases full guns (see Stoeger guns for the latter).

I have no idea of what to do, but anything from saying hey colt make some LBR SA's to hey Scott at CCA can you make a MARS action grand power LBP are all equally possible.
Tony-c

#46 Post by Tony-c »

Single actions not much use
Sixshot6

#47 Post by Sixshot6 »

Tony-c wrote:Single actions not much use
No, but better than nothing and gets some people interested. So right now our solutions are find a company with a good rep and get them to send not already assembled frames or get someone to build a lever release/MARS action LBP. Is that what we all agree on at this stage?
joe

#48 Post by joe »

Yes i would agree with that
Sixshot6

#49 Post by Sixshot6 »

joe wrote:Yes i would agree with that
Good, I have another idea.... but its in the future and lets see it work first.
joe

#50 Post by joe »

Sixshot6 wrote:
joe wrote:Yes i would agree with that
Good, I have another idea.... but its in the future and lets see it work first.

PM me with your idea plse