P.Hale Enfield Volunteer woes

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Meaty

P.Hale Enfield Volunteer woes

#1 Post by Meaty »

Can anyone give me any advice on removing the breech plug from the barrel on my Volunteer-damn its tight!
For the first time in 4 years I have suffered a bit of damp in my cabinet and got a bit of rust spotting on the Volunteer sign01. I ran a patch down the barrel to check if it was ok and got the cleaning rod stuck solid at the breach-I can now turn it but it aint coming out. I have tried pulling, squirting wd40 down the bore, twisting and pulling, warming the barrel and a lot of brute force and swearing but no joy. the barrel and breach plug are out of the stock now but I am out of ideas.
Any pearls of wisdom before I go red-faced to my local gunsmith for a big dose of pi$$ taking?
Thanks.
AL8

Re: P.Hale Enfield Volunteer woes

#2 Post by AL8 »

I had the same thing happen to me, I ended up taking it to a gunsmith, it was quicker and easier
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

Might be worth trying one of those CO2 obstruction removers, it might just shift it.

Certainly blows out 500gn plus boolits that have been loaded over no powder.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Meaty

#4 Post by Meaty »

Well, made up an adapter at work this morning to replace the nipple and tried to shift it with 150psi up it arse-no joy!

Off to the gunsmiths now.....
ResearchPress
Home club or Range: Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB

#5 Post by ResearchPress »

The Parker-Hale breech plug was one of their own design. Have a look at the article on my web site on the 'Euroarms Volunteer' which uses what appears to be one of a similar pattern.

David
www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history
Meaty

#6 Post by Meaty »

Thank you David, thats most interesting. Is this the case with the original Parker Hales as well as the later Euroarms versions as mine is an earlier P.H.
The gunsmith who has the barrel etc did mention to me about the two piece breach plug when I took it in but he has left everything soaking in plus gas until Mon/Tue when he has some time to have a proper look.
He had a fantastic breech loader in the work shop that looked identical to a pattern 1853 but with a 6 foot barrel and ram rod. Chris said it was a fowling piece but to me it was a thing of beauty.
Many thanks for your help.
Ian.