Ruger old army

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

clayduster

Ruger old army

#1 Post by clayduster »

I am going to see a Ruger Old Army with a view to purchase, Is there anything I should be looking for?
Mikaveli

Re: Ruger old army

#2 Post by Mikaveli »

Rust, play in the action, bore condition etc?

If (like me) you're not an expert, try and twist the arm of someone at your club to come with you - it's the safest bet.
Doz

#3 Post by Doz »

I've not owned one myself but I do remember a club member having some issues with 'light strikes' - the hammer not coming down hard enough (or perhaps far enough) to reliably ignite the caps. I believe he eventually cured it by fitting different nipples that were slightly longer, having renewed the mainspring to no effect. However, I know of several members that use the Rugers and I've not heard anybody say it was a common issue.
clayduster

#4 Post by clayduster »

Thanks for that has anyone come accross the conversion nipples to use shotgun primers instead of caps.
Meaty

#5 Post by Meaty »

Is this what you are after? 2 sizes available and on sale atm.
http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?mai ... ts_id=6239
clayduster

#6 Post by clayduster »

Thanks for that, has anyone experience of using them?
John25

#7 Post by John25 »

The NRA has a number which got realy heavy use and were still going strong (with a couple of exceptions) when I left after ten years.

I have one which I love and although I have only fired a hundred or so rounds through it have not experienced any problems.

HTH?
clayduster

#8 Post by clayduster »

John25 wrote:The NRA has a number which got realy heavy use and were still going strong (with a couple of exceptions) when I left after ten years.

I have one which I love and although I have only fired a hundred or so rounds through it have not experienced any problems.

HTH?

sign92

They do appear bullet proof if you can excuse the pun troutslapping
alextwogun

#9 Post by alextwogun »

clayduster wrote:Thanks for that has anyone come accross the conversion nipples to use shotgun primers instead of caps.
Yes they didn't work well with my ROA so reverted back to caps (as they should be used).
rufrdr

#10 Post by rufrdr »

clayduster wrote:Thanks for that, has anyone experience of using them?
I have one currently and had one in the 70s. The revolver is pretty much indestructible. Be sure to remove the nipples when cleaning it, fouling hides under them!

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper