Spring Action Weekend Mini McQueen

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Dougan

Spring Action Weekend Mini McQueen

#1 Post by Dougan »

It was a lovely Spring morning at Melville wtfwtf
SAW MMQ 001b.jpg
Though as the firing point is under cover it was fine...and actually quite cool shooting out into the snow...
SAW MMQ 005b.jpg
SAW MMQ 009b.jpg
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Spring Action Weekend Mini McQueen

#2 Post by mr smith »

Hope it's warmer at the end of may.
Dougan

#3 Post by Dougan »

It was well worth the trip - The Mini McQueen set up is great...it is literally a scaled down version of the FB event; and just as challenging.
MMQ b.jpg
The 5 ring is reasonably generous (though I dropped 1/2 shots on each go), but the v is quite tricky (only managed 4 on my best shoot) - The v counts as 6, and today although 1 person did manage to keep all 10 in the 5 ring (only once though) he didn't win as another gentleman had 5 vs - My best score of 3 attempts was 53, which I was happy with.

I was also very happy with how the Anschutz (the only single shot target rifle there), RWS 50 and the new Besonder scope performed :grin:

Saw Duff eyed Doyle (you only have to mention the word McQueen and he appears razz ), which was cool; and he made the excellent suggestion of making a block for the rounds instead of trying to fish them out of a Tupperware container...cheers Duff :good:

Finally, it has to be said that despite the considerable damp and cold the Range Officers were their usual good humored and helpful selves, and the guys organizing the event worked so hard setting up (just for a 3 hour slot) and re-setting the system each time :goodjob:
Dougan

#4 Post by Dougan »

Cornelius and his lovely missus were running the Mini-McQueen again at this years' SAW - The weather was much better, but it hadn't been publicised very well so there were less shooters...on the plus side, that meant that those who were there got to shoot it several times...at £5 for the first go and £2 for each extra go it's very good value...and great fun tongueout

I'm sure that if the NRA could find a better slot (range availability only allows a few hours on an available 50m bay) and give it some publicity, then it would become very popular...
Demonic69

#5 Post by Demonic69 »

Dougan, are those bags any good? Nobody seems to have the 3 bag set when I want them but they always have those in stock.
What's the format of the shoot?

I don't read my own signature!
Dougan

#6 Post by Dougan »

Yes the grove down the bag holds the rifle really well and is excellent for zeroing...but it can push back against the rifle when shooting the Mini McQueen, as you need to track left and right; so need to aim slightly off to compensate...that said, I still prefer it to a bi-pod.

The format is the same as normal McQueen but scaled down to 50m, and automated - There's a sighting in target, then you get 10 random exposures at the windows in the McQueen castle, with one shot on each - The target is pictured above (scaled down 300m target), but in .22 the 'v' counts as 6...

...I'm not saying it's better than standard McQueen, but it's shot from under cover, the fees and ammo are cheep, and it's quite addictive :grin:
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Automated?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dougan

#8 Post by Dougan »

Yes, it's a very cool bit of kit - The castle is scaled down, and the targets, on 'lollipops' are attached to the machinery in the back - The system is operated from the point...when he sequence it started it randomly shows a target for 3 seconds (with a random 5 to 10 seconds away) at a random window...as it's random, it can show a target at a particular window more than once...but that just keeps you on your toes...

...the lollipops are then collected, scored and replaced...takes less than 10 mins a detail.
Gundoc

#9 Post by Gundoc »

where would i find details for a target system like that?
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#10 Post by mag41uk »

Its unlikely that these will ever be offered for sale (at the moment)
They take a lot of time to construct.