Start load for Uberti .36 1851 navy London Bp pistol

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Dustyman

Start load for Uberti .36 1851 navy London Bp pistol

#1 Post by Dustyman »

Good day , really as the title , has any one got a good starting point or a working load for this replica ? Just wondered if there were any shooters already using this to reasonable effect before I start out . Thankyou for looking , cheers
Sorry , forgot to say
Spec on barrel is as factory as far as I know 7 1/2 inch , 7 groove , forged steel with steel back strap. , no brass as far as I can tell
anpol

Re: Start load for Uberti .36 1851 navy London Bp pistol

#2 Post by anpol »

0.7 gram works perfect for my Remington .44 7.5" (sic!). It's just to show you that there is no such thing as too small a load ;-). OK, you may start from .7 g na be supprised how low the sweet spot might be found.

My Pietta .36 Navy didn't shoot any load for great accuracy, I won't even try to advice you on that. As the Italian replicas can really vary - even from batch to batch I think it would prudent to start from say .7 up. No point going any lower, I think.

Cheers

Andy
.177 -- .69
Dustyman

#3 Post by Dustyman »

Many thanks , gives me a guage of what to prob work around . Thanks for posting , cheers Ian
Doz

#4 Post by Doz »

I use 9 grains of Swiss 1 in my Pietta .36 Navy which only has a 5" barrel. Adequate for punching paper at 25 yards but I'll never win any prizes with it! One of the most "fun to shoot" guns I own though.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

anpol wrote:0.7 gram works perfect for my Remington .44 7.5" (sic!). It's just to show you that there is no such thing as too small a load ;-). OK, you may start from .7 g na be supprised how low the sweet spot might be found.

My Pietta .36 Navy didn't shoot any load for great accuracy, I won't even try to advice you on that. As the Italian replicas can really vary - even from batch to batch I think it would prudent to start from say .7 up. No point going any lower, I think.

Cheers

Andy
What does all that mean in proper money then? Grains.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
anpol

#6 Post by anpol »

That would be 10 grains, roughly. I never bothered with being precise with my Pietta navy. When I bought the Remington I just used the randomly cut off 9mm case (1g/14gn) which happened to measure 0.7 gram (my scale won't show in grains :-(), tried going up to 15 gn, but one tight hole groups punched with the 10 grain loads gave me excuse to abandon all the hard work ;-).
.177 -- .69
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Thank you, I don't do metric never been taught it at school and no one sent me a letter about changing it. Just confuses everyone having two bloody systems, I just stick with imperial it is what I know and understand. Metric is so bloody soulless.

My Uberti Navy .36 load is 12 grains.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

anpol

#8 Post by anpol »

It is! I remember when I was a kid being born into the metric world, I made myself a paper measure with inch/foot scale. It was so romantic :roll: .
I was born into the metric system so it is natural for me, but I think grains when talking bulets and powder. I can't imagine anybody having a belt with 1cm spaced holes :-D.
.177 -- .69
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#9 Post by DaveB »

Interesting. I have two Uberti 1861 Navy revolvers and a Pietta 1851 Navy. I have never in my long history with these revolvers weighed a powder charge. Black powder is generally in my experience delivered by volume, rather than weight.

I originally used an old .38 special case with a handle soldered onto it, then bought a powder measure with the tube cut to the same capacity as the .38 Special case. This will just fill the chambers to slightly below the level of the cylinder face. I then add an OxYoke Wonder Wad, compress the powder charge and then add (and obviously seat) the ball. This gives a load capable of knocking down IPSC popper targets calibrated for 9mm Luger/Parabellum.

Bottom line is with FFFG black powder, Pyrodex or Hogdgen Triple-Seven you cannot load enough propellant into the cylinder to do any damage.
dromia
Site Admin

#10 Post by dromia »

Yep measured by volume which is usually described by weight in grains. Actual weight may vary depending on the powder but the volume measure remains the same.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!