Just starting out .. .. ..

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

EDnSKY
Home club or Range: Bolton Gun Club

Just starting out .. .. ..

#1 Post by EDnSKY »

Hi all,

I'm just starting out down the route of full bore distance shooting and would like to know if anyone can recommend good RFD's around my area. I live in Bolton and upto now have gone to Tim McAvoy for my air rifle and .22 rimmy needs.
I have got the proverbial headache reading up on all the different rifle/stock combinations and from what I've seen prices can vary too so it seems to be a case of looking around at as many rifle combinations/dealers as possible.

I seem to have settled on .308 but will it be a Remington, Tikka, Howa etc.. new or used ( I wouldn't know what to look for in a used rifle anyway!!), I just don't know.

I am busy selling off my small collection of pistols and air rifles and a digital nightsite so should hopefully have around £1500 max to spend.

So any recommendations will be well received.

regards

Bernie
Charlotte the flyer
Home club or Range: Classified

Re: Just starting out .. .. ..

#2 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

The Cheshire gun room is in Bolton and Stockport. I don't know them so can't recommend either way though.

If you have the time visit the shooting show, lots of suppliers all at one venue. It's at Stoneleigh next weekend.
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

#3 Post by Demonic69 »

It's a bit far but I know of a one-off Rem 700 VTR, triangular barrel, the one off bit is they've had the barrel chopped and threaded for a moderator but the thread cover is the original muzzle brake, screws back on and lucks up perfectly in line, looks awesome!
It's new and £900!
I'm nothing to do with them, I was just in the other day, saw it for sale and was quite impressed :D
Anyways, good luck on your hunt :D
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#4 Post by Mike357 »

You could go up to Diggle north of Manchester, excuse my Geography. Fox Firearms may either have or know of a suitable rifle. My last 308 came via Gun Pimp on behalf of a member at Diggle.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
The Gun Pimp

#5 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Yes - Foxy's shop at Diggle Ranges would be a good starting point - there is always stuff on the Diggle notice board as well.
Geek
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#6 Post by Geek »

Charlotte the flyer wrote:The Cheshire gun room is in Bolton and Stockport. I don't know them so can't recommend either way though.

If you have the time visit the shooting show, lots of suppliers all at one venue. It's at Stoneleigh next weekend.
I have purchased all my firearms (3No) and shotguns (3No) from Cheshire Gun Room - some people don't like John but I have always found both him and his staff very helpful.

You could also try Simply Firearms, again Derek is most helpful and my next purchase will be with Derek.

http://www.simplyfirearms.co.uk/
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Christel
Site Admin

#7 Post by Christel »

Which distance are we talking about?
The Gun Pimp

#8 Post by The Gun Pimp »

EDnSKY wrote:Hi all,

I'm just starting out down the route of full bore distance shooting and would like to know if anyone can recommend good RFD's around my area. I live in Bolton and upto now have gone to Tim McAvoy for my air rifle and .22 rimmy needs.
I have got the proverbial headache reading up on all the different rifle/stock combinations and from what I've seen prices can vary too so it seems to be a case of looking around at as many rifle combinations/dealers as possible.
Bernie
The worst thing you can do is walk into a dealer's with a wallet full of cash and little knowledge. Join a decent club - like Diggle - come and look at the various disciplines we shoot and decide where you want to drop in. Meanwhile, you'll have the chance to look at (and even shoot) a whole lot of different rifles and you will then know exactly what you want.

PM me on vinceb@targetshooteronline.com if you want to visit Diggle Ranges.
EDnSKY

#9 Post by EDnSKY »

Thanks for all the helpful info. I will certainly have a look at all those that have been mentioned.

@ Vince, I haven't enough posts to PM you yet. We had a chat on the phone not long ago ref membership but I have a problem with working shifts and not getting many weekends free. Maybe it would be possible to pop up during the week sometime when I am free to have a nosey.

rgds

Bernie
EDnSKY

#10 Post by EDnSKY »

christel wrote:Which distance are we talking about?
Hi Christel,

I don't mind travelling 30 miles(ish) one way if I can get a good price on something

rgds

Bernie