Shooting the SSG

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa

Shooting the SSG

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Saturday was the day to test fire and confirm zero for the Steyr SSG 69 P1. I had planned on shooting Lapua 170 Lockbase bullets however the Nickel plated federal cases I had put to one side for the project did not resize particularly well which left me with a long distance day, a new rifle to shoot and…. some 147 grain 7,62×51 South African NATO Milsurp. The 147 grain rounds are quite slow in comparison to some NATO rounds I have shot with true high points being Danish AMA which always shoots well, sadly I had none left however there was no way I was going to miss the range time.

I had decided to shoot without a bipod so issue sling and a small squeeze bag were all I had to hand without a bipod in sight. First task was confirm the zero at 200m. I twisted the elevation drum to 200 and the windage to zero and took the first shot off the sling. It went bang, always good and the frame stayed where it was. The shooter next to me had been spotting and advised me I was about right for elevation however I was off the frame to the right. This meant I was something like 3 feet right of where I needed to be. Arghhh…. When the rifle first arrived I noticed the windage was wound fully over however I had assumed the last shooter had been out on a windy day. Even winding full left still put me a foot or so to the right of the bull. This was far from what I had expected, this is the Steyr SSG renown for half MOA accuracy on factory ammunition and despite being good for elevation this was not the start I needed.

The good news is Steyr/Kahles and then later Swarovski had made allowances for this with the ZFM6x42. Each drum has a slot in the end to accept a coin as an impromptu screwdriver, slacken this off a turn and the outer knurled drum will rotate independently of the main drum. Now it is just a matter of setting your zero by dialling in or out, nip the screw back up and you have the full range of adjustment with a perfect zero. Clever chaps.

With the zero set I was able to shoot at 800 yards. A SHED fan and fellow shooter very kindly offered me a box of GGG 7,62×51 and I soon settled down to some reasonable results however the combination of service sling and wobbly MTM rest I eventually borrowed were not conducive to truly accurate shooting and I made a mental note to fit a bipod for the next outing as well as load some ammunition.

1000 yards was a bridge too far, the GGG was OK ish and is certainly normally effective to 1000 however I had run out of elevation as I only have 10mils/40 clicks to work with and I needed something closer to 11,4 mils so some 5 minutes lower than I needed, the reticle is not great for aiming off and the 6x magnification makes things even vaguer at 1000 yards however this is not a criticism, merely an observation.

This rifle was designed to 600m work with an 800m elevation drum. reticleTo put things into perspective the gap between the horizontal bar and the top of the centre post is 0,7 mil, that is 2.36 MOA or around a foot and a half at 800m which is about the same as the distance from your sternum to the top of your head. One quarter of one man and the measurement of success for the SSG is a hit, body, centre mass so I guess the magnification is more than adequate.

Now according to my math a 170 Lockbase is going to get me to around 1000 yards on a reasonable mild day so I am looking forward to the next outing, with a bipod and some heavier bullets.

The rifle was cleaned with my normal regime, I took 38 shots and a lot of carbon came out however there was very little blue which is always a good sign.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Scotsgun

Re: Shooting the SSG

#2 Post by Scotsgun »

Mines seems to shoot best with 168gr hornady A-Max and I usually use Varget.

Be careful not to overtighten the stud attachment for the bipod, when mounting on the slide rail.

How did you work out the date of manufacture? I'd like to date mine, myself.
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

There are three letters on the receiver to the right hand of the load port and again on the barrel, these are the month and year of manufacture:
SSG Date codes.png
As an example VOK is November 2002
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

Mine is old really old. tesnews
Scotsgun

#5 Post by Scotsgun »

Thanks for that. Just had a look at mine. BOF = April 04
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Alpha, how old is your rifle?
/d

Shed Journal
John MH

#7 Post by John MH »

I like the reticle, I recently had a S&B Short-Dot 1.1-4x20 changed to a similar style by the S&B factory in Germany.
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

The odd thing about the reticle is the gap between the centre post and the horizontal line, at 0.7mil/2.5ish minutes with a 6x 'scope it is a small gap and I had to pay attention to placement as it is very easy to place the horizontal on the target with the post as a pointer whereas I think it is designed to be used with the top of the centre post as the aiming mark.
/d

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

Alpha, how old is your rifle?
Mines ATT
December 1988 so its 26 years old and still shoots tight groups. I use the tip of the pointer as my aiming mark.
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

Alpha, what sort of 'scope covers does your have, Butler Creeks or something else?
/d

Shed Journal