Service Rifle rundowns at Bisley

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Gaz

Service Rifle rundowns at Bisley

#1 Post by Gaz »

I took a group of students shooting on Sunday and conducted some rundowns for their delight and delectation. Video filmed and edited by one of the students. He's done a seriously good job!
Ovenpaa

Re: Service Rifle rundowns at Bisley

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Looks like a good day was had with a video to look back on.

Great job.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
DW58

#3 Post by DW58 »

What an excellent video - such a change from the usual shaky ones with poor sound.

A good representation of our sport and very watchable - well done and thanks for sharing.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#4 Post by channel12 »

Rundown should have been done line abreast with rifles carried at the trail, muzzles pointing down range, not running line astern carrying at high port. Yes I realise you didn't want them running over the sleeper bridges but they could have walked forward over them before starting the rundown.

Otherwise nice video.
Gaz

#5 Post by Gaz »

channel12 wrote:Rundown should have been done line abreast with rifles carried at the trail, muzzles pointing down range, not running line astern carrying at high port. Yes I realise you didn't want them running over the sleeper bridges but they could have walked forward over them before starting the rundown.

Otherwise nice video.
I thought about that - the problem wasn't so much the sleeper bridges as the giant Somme-style patch of mud 10yds behind the firing points which had been churned by a tractor and then dried by the sun to form a large trip hazard. Given that very few of the firers (first timers on rundowns) were wearing appropriate footwear to deal with the mud, combined with the fact I didn't want muzzles pointing into people's backs or firers dropping rifles, and as all rifles were unloaded anyway, I didn't see a problem going at the high port.

In an ideal world they'd have gone at line abreast properly, but the mud patch and the very limited safe space to our left flank meant line astern was the only practical option to get more than one firer down at a time.

Incidentally, is advancing at the trail the usual way of doing this? Every rundown I've ever done has always been at the high carry.
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#6 Post by 20series »

excellent video :good: :good: it looks like they were enjoying it

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Tower75

#7 Post by Tower75 »

Cracking video, Gaz. Well done for spreading the good word of Shooting. :good:
John MH

#8 Post by John MH »

channel12 wrote:Rundown should have been done line abreast with rifles carried at the trail, muzzles pointing down range, not running line astern carrying at high port. Yes I realise you didn't want them running over the sleeper bridges but they could have walked forward over them before starting the rundown.

Otherwise nice video.
As the rifles were not loaded and made ready until on the FP its not much of an issue here and this was to replicate a Falling Plates match not a true rundown.

Hope they enjoyed it and will be back for more.
Watcher

#9 Post by Watcher »

Excellent - well done.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#10 Post by mag41uk »

Very good. Perhaps a few shot targets at the end would have added to the story?

Tony