Deactivated Semi Automatic Pistols.

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Paul-Andrzej

Deactivated Semi Automatic Pistols.

#1 Post by Paul-Andrzej »

Hi All,

I have started a small collection of Deacts - I know, not the real thing but it pleases me - and I have a Walther P1 9mm and a Walther P38 9mm.

The 4 P1 strips and fires fine and, I believe, is old deact because the barrel is clear. I bought the P38 (lovely nickel/chrome finish) recently knowing that the safety was stuck in the "off" position. It's got a blocked barrel so may be a later deact. My intention was to get the safety fixed.

I have compared the two (because they are exactly the same) and am sure that the stuck safety is not a deact requirement. With the top slide off you can see that it's probably been knocked or somesuch but I can't see how to remove it and do a repair.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks, Paul.
Paul-Andrzej

I'm not happy, but I'm not unhappy about it. Alan Bennett.
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: Deactivated Semi Automatic Pistols.

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

Have a look at the deact spec posted in this thread : http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... 9&start=10

A quick scan seems not to mention the safety catch mech.

The deact certs that should have come with the guns should state whether its new or old spec (pre/post 1995)
DVC
Paul-Andrzej

#3 Post by Paul-Andrzej »

Thanks Blackstuff. I have now found some info on the Internet which may help me. I think the deactivation may have seized up part of the firing pin stopping the safety latch from turning and I may be able to take it apart myself.
Paul-Andrzej

zanes

#4 Post by zanes »

Paul-Andrzej wrote:Thanks Blackstuff. I have now found some info on the Internet which may help me. I think the deactivation may have seized up part of the firing pin stopping the safety latch from turning and I may be able to take it apart myself.
I'd be very wary about doing any alterations to a deac, whether it's "over the standard" or not.
Paul-Andrzej

#5 Post by Paul-Andrzej »

Zanes - Good point. Thanks for the warning.
Paul-Andrzej

snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

ttiuwp
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Paul-Andrzej

#7 Post by Paul-Andrzej »

I am not technically advanced enough to load pictures onto this Forum. However, I have managed to copy and paste this link which I suppose needs to be copied and put into a web browser.

My deact is marked "2/62" and has only the slide, barrel, slide clip,. slide unlock and safety latch as nickel. The rest is black aluminium. I have now stripped it down and if we talk about "sympathetic" and "unsympathetic" deactivations, this one has been murdered inside. Both the P38 and the P1 were deactivated after 1995 but the difference is astounding. :bad:

However, assembled it looks good and very shiny. :good:
Paul-Andrzej

redcat
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#8 Post by redcat »

Sloppy de-act work can ruin a gun. A slip with the welder or cutting gear can cause parts to be locked that should be free. Some folks are more sympathetic than others when doing this work.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.