Cawdor 07/09/14

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Cawdor 07/09/14

#1 Post by Sandgroper »

It was supposed to be a Service rifle rifle shoot today but as there was a dearth of them on the ground it was decided that today would be a practice day instead. As both of my service rifles are currently out of commission anyway, I had my Hornet and 257 with me to check zero and in the case of the Hornet, a comparison between factory ammunition.

On arrival I got a pleasant surprise when DW58 offered me his Steinert SuperChrono for a price I could not say no to - Cheers Rob, much appreciated :good: - and likewise to my mate, Sean, who footed the bill. So I was doubly lucky being a poor student and all! :o
I was actually hoping the Steinert was there as I was wanting to chronograph some loads, so being able to take it home was a bonus plus the results were both surprising and gratifying.

The fireforming load showed a loss of approximately 800fps over the normal 257 Roberts load, but is very accurate and the others...well lets just say that I'm getting 25-06 velocities from my 257 with it's 22 inch barrel! :shakeshout:

I, also, got to see a M44 Mosin in action and I have to admit that it was quite impressive but IMO not a patch on my Steyr. ;) however, I think a side by side comparison is definitely warranted...

All in all a very good day.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
DW58

Re: Cawdor 07/09/14

#2 Post by DW58 »

Glad you're happy Grant - it was a good morning. I was very chuffed to get the new .300 WSM up and running and for it to shoot so well straight off, now to come up with some hand-loads for it.

Not having seen your Steyr in action as yet I'll have to wait to compare it with this morning's Moisin Nagant which was certainly loud and fiery to put it mildly.

Here's my new toy ... ... chassis arrived last week, rifle on Friday, assembled yesterday, shot at 100X & 200X for the first time today - I'm a very happy bunny :shakeshout:

Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: Cawdor 07/09/14

#3 Post by Sandgroper »

I forgot about your beast of a rifle - very nice. :good:

I'm sure the impact of the bullets were picked by a seismic recording station somewhere! ;)
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.