NTTC Assault Rifle Course - 25/26-Oct-2014, Czech Republic.

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

NTTC Assault Rifle Course - 25/26-Oct-2014, Czech Republic.

#1 Post by TattooedGun »

As Arranged by Froggy of this forum, myself and a few guys went over to Prague this weekend to go and learn basics of assault rifle handling and tactics. I shall try and give a rundown of it here... Dave_303, Raybrown53 or Froggy, feel free to correct me if I miss anything.

So myself and friend Dave take the longest route to get to Prague from Birmingham Airport, but are the first to arrive. BHX to Brussels, Brussels to Prague.

We get to the airport, both our first times in the Eastern Bloc, both with images of the movie "Severance" going through our heads, thinking just how long it will be before they drop us in the woods and tell us to run... whilst waiting around off the airplane for our ride to show up. We didn't see our names on any plaques and really didn't know what to expect, so we did the only thing we could and headed to the supermarket to buy cigarettes and liquids.... When we came back to the arrivals lounge we were approached by a burly French/Czech fellow by the name of Lubos asking us if we're here for the shooting course. Relief, we haven't been forgotten!

We headed to the hotel and awaited the arrival of the rest of the group, where else, but in the hotel bar/restaurant... Just as myself and Dave were about to crash for the night, I got a phonecall off Froggy saying they were arriving and would be with us in 20 mins.... so we stayed in the bar and waited.

Everyone arrived an got aquainted around the table of beer (40Kc a half litre... around £1.10 ..!) and we went to bed to see what awaited for us.

Waking up at 6:30... (Seriously, the only thing that will get me out of bed early in the morning is the promise of shooting... not even work or women have the same effect...!) We had breakfast and got mini bussed by "shoomy" (nicknamed for his clear ambition to become a driver like schumacher, he even dressed similarly...! :lol: ) the < 10 min drive to the range....

note shoomy on the right.... :lol:

We were given chest rigs and dump pouches to attach to our bodies, and then given 6 mags and told to fill them...

mmm, 7.62x39mm goodness...

Then it was off to grab a rifle and a sling, and attach the sling to the rifle... So we were left looking like this (well I was, everyone else had much less hair...)

We then went down the range and ran through procedures, how to hold the rifle, and various positions, and how to safely (on the range) keep the barrel always towards targets whilst transitioning from back to front, aswell as loading and unloading the rifle. We also went through checking a round was chambered and a few other drills, such as how to pass the rifle to someone else and also what to do if handing over a loaded weapon.

We then went through some prone transitions from standing to prone and putting a few shots on target, then kneeling, and finally standing.

I was target 6...

I think by this time it was getting toward lunchtime so we took a break and headed back to the hotel for a bite.

After our "charades" to find out what the meat was we were eating... "bah" as it turned out... we headed back to the range and continued shooting....

My memory is a little fuzzy as to what was done on Saturday Afternoon and Sunday (Drinks were CHEAP!) So I shall try and sum up the final part as I can... Maybe Dave, Ray or Froggy can fill in the gaps...

I do remember shooting the glock 17 of one of the instructors as I'd asked Froggy if it was possible just to have a mag when arranging the shoot, as we don't get to shoot any pistols in the UK. He went out of his way to make this happen for myself, Dave I took with me, and Dave_303 got a shoot too.

As most of the shooting took place one after another on the firing point with no gaps, I didn't get many photos throughout the first day except in breaks, but during this pistol shooting, I did manage a few videos...

Me Shooting the Glock:

2 groups, I adjusted after seeing where the group was going whilst aiming for centre mass… Headshots keep the Zombies down…. :grin:

Dave T shooting Glock:

Dave's grouping:

Dave_303 shooting Glock:

Dave's group is at the end of the video at the top of the target Dave T shot at.

...More after the break...
Last edited by TattooedGun on Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BamBam

Re: NTTC Assault Rifle Course - 25/26-Oct-2014, Czech Republ

#2 Post by BamBam »

Use the long youtube address, but delete the 's' so that you have http:// instead of https://

HTH

Looks like you had a cracking time too! :goodjob:
TattooedGun

#3 Post by TattooedGun »

So at some point we had to (reluctantly) put the rifles down (whether it was to eat, or to sleep) and it always left a cheeky grin when we did so, as there was literally a pile of VZ's on the table...

We did some rapid 5 successive shots onto targets...

I'm sure most of you can count, theres more than 5 shots on the centre target... getting my monies worth... tongueout

There was also a lot of standing around, casually hanging around with loaded firearms on our backs... (RCO's at Bisley would have a heart attack... I should know, I am one! haha!)

We did stoppages, double feeds, clearing and a LOT of reloading practice and drills fully instilling the correct way to change a mag on weapons like these. - The course is universal, so that the techniques and training can be used on most, if not all weapons should you pick up something else that is not exactly the same, the clearing techniques an methods used should be compatible. - some guys were using AK's and I spotted an M4, as well as some interesting weapons that the Czech guy who was relegated to the group of Brits also brought along... (Beretta AR70/90 and a Sig 551 I think it was...).

The techniques were drilled and taught excellently. a few of us had dud rounds and misfires throughout the day, and like clockwork the training kicked in and worked perfectly. I was surprised, and delighted by my new found skills....

We also did some spotting for others and describing where the target was whilst you couldn't see them through the irons on targets like these...

And "defensive fire" between points when nobody can see the target, but you know roughly where it's coming from...

We got a lot packed in, and fired a lot of rounds throughout the weekend. I can't wait to get back out and train some more on other weapons, and progress that which I learned this time.

It would not have been possible to really have had such a good understanding of this course, or to have got the full benefit of the expertise that the instructors had, would it not have been for Froggy being the intermediary, so I would like to thank him once again for taking us Brits through the instruction and translating for us. He truly made the weekend, at least for me, but I think the other guys would agree. A true Gent.

There's a few more photos on my flickr if anyones interested:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stegough/ ... 599639849/

Again, such a great weekend, can't wait to head back...! :)
TattooedGun

#4 Post by TattooedGun »

BamBam wrote: ...
Use the long youtube address, but delete the 's' so that you have http:// instead of https://
Looks like you had a cracking time too! :goodjob:
Thanks BamBam! :)
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#5 Post by kennyc »

like Bambam said :grin:

looking good
:good:
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

Looks like a good time was had by all :good:

Is that a Polish Beryl I see the one guy with?.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
TattooedGun

#7 Post by TattooedGun »

I think you may be talking about Froggy... with the black AK type thingy...

I dunno exactly what it was... it was a 5.56 AK, but I couldn't tell you the make.

I'm sure he'll have more info...
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

TattooedGun wrote:I think you may be talking about Froggy... with the black AK type thingy...

I dunno exactly what it was... it was a 5.56 AK, but I couldn't tell you the make.

I'm sure he'll have more info...

Thats the one, definitely looks like a Beryl carbine
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
TattooedGun

#9 Post by TattooedGun »

The local wildlife was friendly too..... :lol:
HALODIN

#10 Post by HALODIN »

Looks cool, thanks for the write-up.