LBP and Home Office ranges

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

sysreq

LBP and Home Office ranges

#1 Post by sysreq »

I have been looking at purchasing a .22 LBP and have run into an issue which I was wondering if anyone else had come across.

It seems that the local Firearms Licensing Team have told my club that as a LBP is not classified as a Rifle or Pistol it does not fall into a category for range approval (Small Bore Rifle – Full Bore Rifle – Muzzle-loading Pistol) therefore may not be used on Home Office Approved ranges i.e. my club indoor range. wtfwtf

The only information I can find on this is
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t_2014.pdf Section 13.49
And http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/genera ... p?site=NRA Club Free Firearms Certificates section
Both of which discuss that you cannot hold a LBP on the clubs free FAC, but an individual can hold a LBP as long as they have facilities to use it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t_2014.pdf Section 13.50 seems to cover the facilities for use of a firearm for target shooting

"An applicant should have access to appropriate ranges for the types of firearm concerned. The National Small-bore Rifle Association and the National Rifle Association (or similar organisations) will have inspection and approval systems in place for ranges run by their club members. Independent assessments are also viable."

So as long as my club is approved and inspected by the NRA or NSRA and is certified for the calibre etc involved I cannot see how they can say LBP cannot be used on Home Office Approved ranges. It almost seems that they are confusing Club held firearms restrictions and the use of individually held weapons.

So, after all that has anyone heard of anything like this? sign85

Matt
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: LBP and Home Office ranges

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

I have been told the exact same thing for my local range
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#3 Post by meles meles »

Hmmm, have you tried the counter argument that if it isn't a rifle or a pistol, and presumably not a shotgun, then it's just a piece of metal and you oughtn't need a licence for it nor permission to take it out to play with... ?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
dave_303

#4 Post by dave_303 »

Sportsman Association have already gone to court over this and won.
http://sportsmansassociation.co.uk/news ... 3-07-a.pdf
Charlie Muggins

#5 Post by Charlie Muggins »

I thought the HO approved clubs rather than ranges?
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

dave_303 wrote:Sportsman Association have already gone to court over this and won.
that doesn't relate to the OP question? he is saying that the club does not allow the use of the LBR/P on their range as does not fall into a categorization.

(unless you are saying that it is a rifle according to that, and therefore able to be used as such??)
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Primer

#7 Post by Primer »

What police authority region are you ? as I've not had any problems at the 2 clubs I use in Dorset and my licensing authority (Avon & Somerset) had no problems when I applied for my license.

I thought these came under carbine rifles in categorization as they meet the 12" barrel 24" overall rule?
sysreq

#8 Post by sysreq »

While it doesn't directly relate to my question, I believe the original discussions were initiated as a result of the clubs desire to obtain a number of LBP for club members to use, which then opened the can of worms that we have now, so it is of some use.

And if as a result of R –v- Wells that Home Office Approved club was allowed to continue shooting LBP then surely that is a precedent for any home Office Approved club.... fingerscrossed ....
Last edited by sysreq on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sysreq

#9 Post by sysreq »

Primer, I was attempting to be diplomatic (pretty unusual for me) as I know that discussions are still going on so I didn't want to p*** anyone off by pointing the finger in an openly searchable forum, needless to say it isn't Avon & Somerset.

I didn't have an issue getting one on my certificate, it was only when I spoke to the club about it that the concern came to light about whether we were actually allowed to shoot them at our range. From what I can tell they are carbine rifles, but someone coin the term LBP which then added a grey area.
dave_303

#10 Post by dave_303 »

bradaz11 wrote:
dave_303 wrote:Sportsman Association have already gone to court over this and won.

(unless you are saying that it is a rifle according to that, and therefore able to be used as such??)

That is exactly what I am saying, they meet the 12/24 rule, therefore they should be treated the same as any other firearm.