Hind Stalking on Arran 2014

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Tiff

Hind Stalking on Arran 2014

#1 Post by Tiff »

Three Thursdays ago, my shooting partner Paul (PCal) and I left Cornwall for our first trip to Scotland. Only ten hours later (much to our surprise), we arrived in Ardrossan and proceeded to camp on the harbour wall...Catching the 7am Friday ferry meant we first caught sight of Arran as dawn broke a few miles off Brodick; a great view and the first part of Scotland we'd ever seen in daylight. After introducing ourselves to Bob the FC ranger, we spent the next three days recceing the various beats and generally getting to know the island. I'll let the following photographs tell the rest of the story.

Watching the deer above Lochranza with golden eagles overhead, after visiting the Arran distillery - still enjoying a tipple of Arran Gold as I type...

Checking the rangefinder works on Sunday afternoon - The southern lighthouse on Holy Island, (ranged from the living room of our Lamlash apartment):

After spotting a hind & calf Monday evening while orientating ourselves with the ground, we decided to take a look - but they were almost 70m or so directly above us...A good introduction to the terrain! Especially when we reached the top and PCal hadn't locked the car....back down we went, only to return to the ridge 10 minutes later!

PCal's two hinds & two calves on the first morning - a real baptism of fire for him after not stalking for a few months. We caught the group at first light, presumably returning to the forestry higher up. The first hind and calf were taken prone at circa 250 yards, then the others ran on slightly, so after a 50 yard dash PCal went prone and took the second pair. All the while, the remaining member of the group (a spiker) looked on unconcerned!

Getting stuck in on the second hind:

Tuesday afternoon with intermittent rain / low cloud, we found a suitable high point and setup a couple of laying up positions that covered the ground:

DPM works well in this terrain (with Tuesday afternoons vantage point in the distance). Also sticks are essential for walking, if you wish to survive! Especially when descending of the hill and through steep clear fell by head torch in the evenings.

The terrain is VERY tough going in places and presents a decent challenge in itself! Wednesdays mornings dawn accent from the car (just visible) a couple of hundred metres below:

Large pockets of heather (400+ yards long) amongst the forestry, great for passing the time and having a spot of lunch with a view:

Remember to always use protection....As the temperature increased throughout the day it expanded considerably (much to our amusement) at least proving the airtight/waterproof seal - essential given the changeable nature of the weather.

On Wednesday after stalking 50 yards up the ride, PCal returns with caution...

The reason why - If you take a 26+lbs rifle all day stalking for a week, this will inevitably happen at some point!

There is life! The rides were like deer motorways in places, with plenty of rutting stands and wallows around.

More traditional stalking Wednesday evening....The best bit was when the fully loaded logging trucks trundled back and forth. The drivers would quizzically smile as we both rolled just out of the way, were pelted with gravel as it passed and then seamlessly rolled back into position again. Unfortunately the deer, failing to appreciate our commitment to the cause, didn't to materialise that evening.

Thursday morning at 08.00, after getting into position before first light.

Thursday afternoon looking over the top edges of the forestry, with the cloud coming down...

Fifteen minutes later covering the clear fell edges as the cloud descended, forcing us off the heather hill tops:

Fifteen minutes later again, time to call it a day at 15.30...The days are very short, making it hard work to get in on the deer in the time available.

Enjoying the view Friday morning:

PCal's youngster taken at 11am on the final Friday morning, with Bob's dog posing rather well...Thus we missed the 13.50 ferry, so caught the following 16.40 back - meaning neither of us have yet to see mainland Scotland in daylight! We reached Cornwall at 06.30 Saturday - A very long 'day' for PCal who was driving.

During the week nine deer were culled, with five falling to PCal's modern English stalking rifle...

Savouring the views, before packing up for the final time.

When we returned to the car (parked in the dark) just over the edge was this - a brilliant way to finish the week.
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Re: Hind Stalking on Arran 2014

#2 Post by TattooedGun »

Great writeup and photos... I'd love to do something like this sometime...!
techguy

#3 Post by techguy »

Looks like an amazing trip. I'd love to do something like that... except maybe shooting at something inanimate, like a paper or steel target that moves! (yes yes.. I know.. i'm a wuss!)
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

Brilliant photos and write up goodjob

Did you do this through BASC? I've wanted to do it for a couple of years now but frankly, i don't think i'm fit enough!
DVC
Tiff

#5 Post by Tiff »

techguy wrote:Looks like an amazing trip. I'd love to do something like that... except maybe shooting at something inanimate, like a paper or steel target that moves! (yes yes.. I know.. i'm a wuss!)
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, that's part of the reason why I setup the Roundhouse Rifle Challenge - the whole experience of the hunt in remote terrain, without anything needing to be culled at the end; well apart from a few pesky watermelons or coconuts...
Blackstuff wrote:Brilliant photos and write up goodjob

Did you do this through BASC? I've wanted to do it for a couple of years now but frankly, i don't think i'm fit enough!
Thanks and yes it was through the BASC scheme. I wouldn't worry about the fitness, plenty of time before next years season to work on that...While I wouldn't recommend it to anyone carrying a mobility injury/disability, since you're paired for the week, provided your shooting partner is of a similar fitness/mentality you can adjust the stalking to suit. For this very reason I would strongly recommend anyone considering going on the scheme takes a shooting partner they know and are comfortable spending a week with!
techguy

#6 Post by techguy »

Tiff wrote:[
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, that's part of the reason why I setup the Roundhouse Rifle Challenge - the whole experience of the hunt in remote terrain, without anything needing to be culled at the end; well apart from a few pesky watermelons or coconuts...
Just read about that on another forum.. looks really really enjoyable! When is the next one? I will need to get suitable conditions on my ticket.. and a scope with more than 4x!
nickb834

#7 Post by nickb834 »

techguy wrote:
Tiff wrote:[
Just read about that on another forum.. looks really really enjoyable! When is the next one? I will need to get suitable conditions on my ticket.. and a scope with more than 4x!
That's a good point - for the Roundhouse or a trip to the OP's island you'd need an open ticket (well, I suppose you could have the two grounds listed specifically)?

Tiff, that's an amazing looking piece of scenery thanks for the post - I really want to give that a go!
Scotsgun

#8 Post by Scotsgun »

Well done. Looks like you had a great time. The hinds are always underrated in the Arran scheme but I always find stalking a wily old hind much harder than a stag. Stags can be very easy. Especially during the rut.

I couldn't imagine lugging a Tikka TRG up the hills of Arran. Your mate should find himself a Sako TRGS M995. Same action and bolt as the TRG's, just as accurate, a lot lighter. I have one in 7mm Rem Mag.
TJC

#9 Post by TJC »

Nice range finder
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#10 Post by meles meles »

Awesome post ooman ! It looks to have been one of those trips where the deer were a bonus and you'd have enjoyed it even if you'd returned empty pawed !

Maybe Scotsgun will loan us all his incoming new Helix for a similar stalk

*dreams*
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"