1 day Regional RCO course

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa

1 day Regional RCO course

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

NRA RCO course - the one day version.

James's excellent NRA RCO write up prompted me to give a broad outline of my one day regional version.

Apparently regional NRA RCO courses can be conducted over a single day and it was one of these courses that I opted to take. Obviously sitting the course, verbal, practical and written assessments makes for a very busy day but it is doable.

My RCO course started badly, my RCO Blue book still had not shown up a week before the course and finding copies in the public domain is rather problematical (Luckily I had some assistance in this area) A couple of calls to Maureen at the NRA saw the blue book arrive at the start of the week. I have obviously listened attentively to RCO briefs on numerous occasions but had no understanding of the nuts and bolts theory behind the role so I was staggered to discover exactly what is covered. The good news is a lot of it is common sense and quite logical, possibly the only area that can confuse is angles are given in mils.

I was well aware that I had to read, inwardly digest and totally understand the book prior to the course so having read the book cover to cover I started again with a highlighter pen to show what I considered to be significant points, I also wrote my own quick notes in the back of the book so if all else failed I could quickly refer to them.

By the Thursday I was at the stage where Christel was asking me questions based on the book and I was answering and explaining my replies, I find discussing something gives a better understanding. I also read the book in bed and when I found something I did not know I would read it to her and then expand upon it. Such an approach works for me and also stops her snoring (OK not really!) By Friday I was feeling vaguely comfortable about the whole thing.

Saturday saw me making a long rainy drive way out in the boonies to the class room for an early start. I was one of five people taking the course, two of which have since joined the forum :)

After a quick coffee and biscuits we went straight into the course which is based on a computer presentation which acts as the catalyst for further explanation and discussion so we effectively talked our way through the book, this for me worked very well as any potentially grey (To us!) areas could be discussed on further detail. We then had a brief break where we would prepare our range briefs. My RCO had already told me this would happen so I had mine written and had even used the Viking to test it and amend it accordingly. I had one additional line added as a consequence of the course so I volunteered to give mine immediately. With that part done and passed I could grab a coffee before going back to more reading. Next up was the practical section. I was mentally prepared for mine but was chosen to go last as I had started the previous part. Great but listening to the others was starting to confuse me so I made some notes on my phone to use as a crib sheet. Second bit passed.

Back to the classroom pausing only for a nervous trip to the block and final revision/discussion before the exam.

From memory the allowed time is 60 minutes, and the exam is a multiple choice/guess format. 10 questions are critical so drop one and you fail. The best thing with any exam is read all the questions first, with multi-guess I answer the ones I 100% know followed by the ones I think I know followed by the wild guesses. This exam was in open book format (you can use any revision/written material available) so really no reason to bomb out, however some of the questions are quite ambiguous and open to interpretation and it is a case of taking the best option available.

Once completed the papers were checked and scored and we discussed the paper in depth. I think I dropped two questions and one I strongly disagreed with the correct answer and it was good to be able to discuss it.

Day finished at 18:30 ish and I drove home as an RCO.

Roll on HME :D

My view is one day is doable however it is a hectic day and you need to be very well prepared prior to attending. It also requires a lot of concentration on the day, failure for me was not an option and I was pleased to have passed even if I was shattered by the time I got home. All five of us passed which apparently was unusual but good for all involved. I am RCO at a shoot on the 16th of this month which will be my first.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

Re: 1 day Regional RCO course

#2 Post by Christel »

Well done that man. Even though I have heard it all before (like 236 times) it was good to read it.

Thank you.
:P
Rifleman798

#3 Post by Rifleman798 »

Good write up :)

Cheers

James
idge

#4 Post by idge »

good write up , enjoyed reading it , were the nerves leading up to the day worse than the actual day itself ? congrats for passing . :)
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Well failure was not really an option and the book was quite daunting when I opened it for the first time but in the end it was quite reasonable. Key thing is to read, read and read some more so you are well versed with the blue book.

I would recommend the course to anyone as it gives a useful insight into the secret world or RCO's and once passed means you can put something back into your club. :D
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
HeatherW762
Home club or Range: OSM, NRA Bisley

#6 Post by HeatherW762 »

So I take it you didn't do any actual range work at all, just classroom?

Heather
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Yes we did range work :
Next up was the practical section. I was mentally prepared for mine but was chosen to go last as I had started the previous part. Great but listening to the others was starting to confuse me so I made some notes on my phone to use as a crib sheet. Second bit passed.
Each of us acted as RCO for three shooters, the only simulated part was the comms to the range office. So we covered all practical aspects of the range side plus I even had to ask a 'spectator' to step back after he moved towards the firing point at the end of the detail.
/d

Shed Journal
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#8 Post by dodgyrog »

Sounds like you got an easy ride! :o
Typically, I get a misfire procedure going with a 'spectator' trying to examine a gun behind the line (to see if the RCO gets 'sucked' into a situation instead of standing back, delegating and maintaining control) and get the butt flag raised to see who spots it and calls stop stop stop.
Puts the pressure on.
However, that's nowhere near as stressful as running a firing point with up to 40 shooters, some who are guests and of unknown skills level.
Glad you passed ok, well done.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

It was interesting as we were in a covered gallery which was quite cramped, so you have three shooters at the points, plus the instructor watching plus the 'RCO' plus those not shooting trying to watch plus the added bonus of not knowing if the instructor has thrown something iffy into the equation when it is your turn.

One of the shooters had forgotten to bring a magazine which meant his contribution was to shout 'BANG' when he was on the point. I was desperately trying to put the Dads Army image of "BANG TWO THREE, BANG TWO THREE...." out of my mind as I observed before it was my turn to RCO
/d

Shed Journal