Badger meets The Clay People

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

Badger meets The Clay People

#1 Post by meles meles »

Well oomans, we had our Splendiferous Day Out at Bisley, centre of the shooting universe.

The morning was spent on the Short Siberia range zeroing both our Finnish M28/76 and Swedish Carl Gustaf CG63 at 200 mards as the glow in the dark plod were busy elsewhere. We had a brillig time until the hooter sounded and we were forced to retire and partake of chips, egg and sausage in the cafe. We were accosted by several nice oomans as we scoffed our egg & chips, mostly from the 50 Cal club, all of 'em trying to lure us over to the Dark Side. Apparently their kit can harass Farmer Giles even if he's hiding behind a Massey Ferguson two miles away...

The afternoon was spent wandering around the Clay Range with our olde Blissett & Son, side by side, Damascus hammer gun. It's nigh on 130 years old, and elicited quite a few comments, mostly of the "Nice gun Badger, very stylish, but you won't hit a barn door with it" type.

Pah ! No problem. We hit far more barn doors than clays... We enjoyed the clays far more than we expected and might give it another go if we can find a tribe of Clay People near Sheffield.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Demonic69

Re: Badger meets The Clay People

#2 Post by Demonic69 »

There's a place near me in Barnsley apparently. Clay shooting is something I've always fancied trying but never managed
Glad you had fun toughening up the softies
meles meles

#3 Post by meles meles »

Oh it looks dead easy, ooman, especially when other people are doing it. We were too busy potting barn doors to actually hit many clays, but we had a point to prove.
Badger
Badger Korporashun

saddler

#4 Post by saddler »

ttiuwp (of the Finn)
meles meles

#5 Post by meles meles »

Sir Anthony van Dyck is busy, ratty.
Badger
Badger Korporashun

meles meles

#6 Post by meles meles »

What's a good clay cartridge, oomans? We used Gamebore White Gold because we got a box of 250 of 'em at a good price and they seem to work very well in both our shotties. Our pump action had no problems with White Gold but seemed not to like several other brands that our ooman friends tried to feed it. The pumper sometimes wouldn't eject other brands and when we inspected the rogue cartridge we found the brass case had flowed down into the ejector and formed a ikkle bump that stopped the claw grabbing it and chucking it out. We may stick with White Gold, but if you know something better (i.e. cheaper, but with equal performance) let us know.
Badger
Badger Korporashun

techguy

#7 Post by techguy »

Never had an issue with any ammo in any of my pump shotguns... For clays and practical shotgun training I usually use Gamebore Velocity...
Demonic69

#8 Post by Demonic69 »

I just use clear pigeon for practical, it's about the cheapest. It depends what performance you expect stripy.
meles meles

#9 Post by meles meles »

Clear pigeon ?

*scurries away to google it*
Badger
Badger Korporashun

Demonic69

#10 Post by Demonic69 »

Gamebore, it's normally around £5.50/25 for 6 1/2 shot, fibre wad 30 or 32g