taurus 980 questions

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Sixshot6

taurus 980 questions

#1 Post by Sixshot6 »

My dad might be acquiring a 980 LBR soon and I want to know what can be done to make it better than it is? I know grips are out there, that's the first thing but I was thinking of other stuff that could be done. Any ideas?
Sim G

Re: taurus 980 questions

#2 Post by Sim G »

It is what it is. I replaced the rod with a stainless, less obtrusive monstrosity. Replaced the grips with a nice set of Hogue laminate. Added a scope ril and a micro dot for fun.

The trigger's not bad at all in either single, it double action, except a little stacking towards the end, which actually aids split hammer.

Get as big a selection as you can of .22 ammo, ie a box of every type in your local shop and try them all. Very, very picky with its ammo. Find one that it likes and happy days!

There's a few blokes in my club with 980s, an outstanding tool for getting rid of 300 rounds in an evening...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sixshot6

#3 Post by Sixshot6 »

Sorry there was a double post there.
Last edited by Sixshot6 on Sun May 17, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sixshot6

#4 Post by Sixshot6 »

Sim G wrote:It is what it is. I replaced the rod with a stainless, less obtrusive monstrosity. Replaced the grips with a nice set of Hogue laminate. Added a scope ril and a micro dot for fun.

The trigger's not bad at all in either single, it double action, except a little stacking towards the end, which actually aids split hammer.

Get as big a selection as you can of .22 ammo, ie a box of every type in your local shop and try them all. Very, very picky with its ammo. Find one that it likes and happy days!

There's a few blokes in my club with 980s, an outstanding tool for getting rid of 300 rounds in an evening...
he's still waiting for the guy to come back by email, but its a good price and had the rod (possibly even the original coat hanger) converted to a balancing rod with weight. What ammo does yours like to eat and you have hogue grips on yours, where did you get them Sim? Also this is a shot in the dark, so to speak but one idea I suggested to my dad due to having it seen done with a 357 that was sale on here is to approach Alan Westlake and ask him, even if a new barrel blank is needed if he can sleeve it down (this is where the new barrel comes in) and do what he did with those and the buckmarks ( I have one of his buckmarks, beautiful gun it is) and sleeve in Aluminium and put a brake on the end and maybe if possible put the foresight from the old barrel on. What do you think to that idea?

Also I would like to apologize for the times we've argued. I do appreciate your wisdom and hope you hold nothing against me. You taught me one thing Sim and that was to believe in myself a bit more. That aside, what do you think of the idea I suggested there? Good or Crap?

Also off topic Sim is the Hi power in your profile picture one you owned pre 1997? Me not being old enough I don't quite have the anger that you guys do, but its there. In the future we're likely to be living somewhere where pistols are allowed and my dad has desire for a Hi Power, they any good?
Sim G

#5 Post by Sim G »

No, I wouldn't bother doing the Westlake barrel or anything like that. As I said, it is, what it is. Ammo wise, mine likes Eley Sport and T22. It will be alright with CCI Standard. Won't shoot anything high velocity at all. Didn't like RWS or Lapua.

The Hogue grips came direct from Hogue. They weren't cheap that's for sure. Just sold a second pair for nigh on half the cost I paid!!

And the Browning Hi-Power? The best fighting handgun ever....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Sixshot6

#6 Post by Sixshot6 »

Sim G wrote:No, I wouldn't bother doing the Westlake barrel or anything like that. As I said, it is, what it is. Ammo wise, mine likes Eley Sport and T22. It will be alright with CCI Standard. Won't shoot anything high velocity at all. Didn't like RWS or Lapua.

The Hogue grips came direct from Hogue. They weren't cheap that's for sure. Just sold a second pair for nigh on half the cost I paid!!

And the Browning Hi-Power? The best fighting handgun ever....
Its more to reduce weight than increase accuracy. I guess if it doesn't do too much I'll tell my dad not to bother. He'll give shooting it a go if the guy still has it available (he's gonna need to get the 357 slot changed to 22 lbr though after he sold his 357 ruger redhawk). Green Eley and CCI standard then? Thats pretty much what we have in South/West Yorkshire area. I always remember a guy who was a both of dad's who had a 222 Sako always acting amazed that ammo was cheaper around where we live (He acted as though Privi Partisen wasn't sold in Kent, maybe he went to the wrong shops?).

So hogue ships direct to the uk? Is there any special paperwork to fill or just order and pay?

And will tell him the Hi power is good too. Saves him having to decide. I'll go for a CZ 85b or a SP01 shadow myself.
Sixshot6

#7 Post by Sixshot6 »

Another question Sim, we can't see what grips from Hogues website actually go on a 980. Do you know which ones in their current Taurus line will go on?
Sim G

#8 Post by Sim G »

Look at Taurus Medium and Large Frame Square Butt. When you click on that it will show you the materials available. Click on the material and it will show the options of grips.

Sixshot6

#9 Post by Sixshot6 »

Sim G wrote:Look at Taurus Medium and Large Frame Square Butt. When you click on that it will show you the materials available. Click on the material and it will show the options of grips.
So medium and large then. Which one is the 980? Medium or Large?
Sim G

#10 Post by Sim G »

It means both medium and large framed revolvers with a square butt grip frame, use the same grip size.