Rifle stock wanted

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Ovenpaa

Rifle stock wanted

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am after a hunting rifle stock in wood, anything will do as I just need it for a pattern, so bowed bashed bent whatever and without any fittings.

Does anyone have one kicking around they would like to get rid of?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sawnoff

Re: Rifle stock wanted

#2 Post by Sawnoff »

Does it have to be wood? i've got the houge synthetic off a howa hidden in the garage so the other half can't find it and twig i've had a new stock ;) you can have it if you want.
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Sawnoff wrote:Does it have to be wood? i've got the houge synthetic off a howa hidden in the garage so the other half can't find it and twig i've had a new stock ;) you can have it if you want.
Yes I would prefer wood as I can easily add/remove bits until I get to my desired shape and I would hate to hack up a perfectly servicable Howa stock for that :) However thank you for the offer.

This is what I am aiming for:
sporter.jpg
sporter.jpg (5 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
I would like to think I can turn exotic woods into shavings and sawdust with the best so the idea of building my own is quite appealing. Thanks for the links Rob, I have just read a nice article on how someone built a stunning stock out of laminate, only at the end did he explain it was as a template for the hardwood version...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

#5 Post by Robin128 »

Do be careful about the choice of blank, given the inherent weakness of the pistol grip. watch out for the grain thru the grip. That's where a laminate would pay off.

I might be teaching my gran etc.

;)

Rob
Dangermouse

#6 Post by Dangermouse »

That stock looks very mutch like the current TRG stock. There was a TRG at the Europeans but it took me a few minutes to work out what it was:

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Good grief! That is rather nice, and fitted with one of the new Big Foot bipods as well. I am looking at making a variation of it for Christel over the winter to save her lugging a front rest around next year

Yes the Tikka Master Sporter stock is very similar to the TRG however it is wood so a lot lighter and more suited to positions other than prone.
/d

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#8 Post by Dangermouse »

Apparently the gun owner is the manufacturer of the Bi-pod. With the weak Euro at the moment, what are they selling for?
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

Spanish chap? I could not find a price although I understand Stuart is selling them now or very shortly.

I have been working on a design of my own which is similar having looked at several variations (It is difficult to be very different) I reckon it will be around GBP30 for materials including pod locks for cant control, plus a couple of hours on the lathe and find some one local to do the tig welding, Construction of is a mix of aluminium and stainless steel. About the only bit I cannot do is mill an extended T bolt to go into a T slot, a few minutes work on a mill if I cannot find a suitable extruded part to work with.
/d

Shed Journal
TobyH

#10 Post by TobyH »

I've got a parker hale 'scout' stock you can have. Its a laminate and had a split at the neck. At the time I put a bolt through the handle to hold it together. Since got a new one.

If your interested let me know and I'll post it to you.

Here's a pic of it with the old stock, showing the bolt I fitted.
IMG_9769.JPG
"Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down." - Dick Sharples