Practical Shooting - Club up North

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

qws

Practical Shooting - Club up North

#1 Post by qws »

Just returned from Bisley, watched the practical shooting. It was challenging but great fun. Will enter next year. But we do not seem to any or many practical courses in and around Durham. Anyone interested in a meet up to try and get this moving in the NE ? or better still have we any good practical courses already in action in the NE ?

More and More LBP and LBR are being used so why not enjoy them and set up a dedicated practical night , or club in the NE.

Comments welcome Good or Bad !!!!!!!!
Sim G

Re: Practical Shooting - Club up North

#2 Post by Sim G »

There was a time when the North East was full of practical shooting clubs....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sixshot6

#3 Post by Sixshot6 »

qws wrote:Just returned from Bisley, watched the practical shooting. It was challenging but great fun. Will enter next year. But we do not seem to any or many practical courses in and around Durham. Anyone interested in a meet up to try and get this moving in the NE ? or better still have we any good practical courses already in action in the NE ?

More and More LBP and LBR are being used so why not enjoy them and set up a dedicated practical night , or club in the NE.

Still needs to develop a bit more. We've gone one step forward and two steps back in many ways. The only new centre fire coming in is the Europa from Rude fat dog and the only readily available cheap LBP's are 22s. If some could get a self-ejecting LBP ala a lever release or MARS action going that would make things more doable. But it needs to develop more. I just can't see it being at this minute anything other than an appendage of gallery rifle or mainland uk practical shooting.
qws

#4 Post by qws »

Sixshot6 wrote:
qws wrote:Just returned from Bisley, watched the practical shooting. It was challenging but great fun. Will enter next year. But we do not seem to any or many practical courses in and around Durham. Anyone interested in a meet up to try and get this moving in the NE ? or better still have we any good practical courses already in action in the NE ?

Still needs to develop a bit more. We've gone one step forward and two steps back in many ways. The only new centre fire coming in is the Europa from Rude fat dog and the only readily available cheap LBP's are 22s. If some could get a self-ejecting LBP ala a lever release or MARS action going that would make things more doable. But it needs to develop more. I just can't see it being at this minute anything other than an appendage of gallery rifle or mainland uk practical shooting.
Feel you are wrong regarding still needs more and you are going to have long wait for any centre fire. Makes more sense to develop what we have, get many more both LBP and LBR used with as many practical comps , clubs as possible, will give us a good basis to challenge current restrictions.

Cheap .22 yes new GSG £430 no Low Mills 1911, K22, my new sig £1350 plus mod and six mags £1695 then another £200 for holster rig - get real !!!!

Get on board with the concept of the more we do the better case we have for change.

ps Looked at some of the rigs seen today and used at the comp at Bisley - Really not cheap but highly professional.
Sixshot6

#5 Post by Sixshot6 »

qws wrote:
Sixshot6 wrote:

Feel you are wrong regarding still needs more and you are going to have long wait for any centre fire. Makes more sense to develop what we have, get many more both LBP and LBR used with as many practical comps , clubs as possible, will give us a good basis to challenge current restrictions.

Cheap .22 yes new GSG £430 no Low Mills 1911, K22, my new sig £1350 plus mod and six mags £1695 then another £200 for holster rig - get real !!!!

Get on board with the concept of the more we do the better case we have for change.

ps Looked at some of the rigs seen today and used at the comp at Bisley - Really not cheap but highly professional.
I was thinking more buckmarks and GSG's. I guess the ready to rock stuff is alot more. And what we have is a start, but the Taurus's aren't going to last forever due to ending production and that just leaves the 22 lbp's as a starting point. Granted its a better starting point than 1998 but still, we could do better. I think another way to mix it up would be to get 3 gun going a bit. LBP's/LBRs that are here, section 1 shotties (though how many people want to do detachable is a thing is not many do, so most will stick with tube mag guns) and rounding off with rifle. We can either do that with 22 semis or straight pulls, lever releases or MARS (and whatever other actions come as there are rumblings of other things being developed). I own a MARS but I can't see guys with straight pulls being happy about being outgunned on time for a long time (maybe if it becomes an issue put MARS/Lever releases in a class more similar to Semi auto?).

That seems to be the way to do it, a UK version of 3 gun. How's that sound?
phaedra1106

#6 Post by phaedra1106 »

The Mayfair club in Sunderland is closed for "normal" club shooting on Monday nights but used to have practical rifle (I assume 22) on for those in the know. I'll give someone a ring and see if it's still on the go.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

What is stopping you starting a "practical" section and shoots at the Yarners?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
qws

#8 Post by qws »

Nothing - We can discuss but not sure of the space etc - welcome your input when we next meet !!!
qws

#9 Post by qws »

Ok we have Yarnwrs looking at it, sunderland looking at it-anyone else - with at least two we can ave in club competitions and then lead to national comps - common guys get your pistols out support this - we have nothing to lose - other than our selves - so lets go for it - I am happy to arrange a meet of all local clubs who want to be involved - spread the word

we are our worst owne enemies - lets change and work together - a small thought ????
qws

#10 Post by qws »

ps spelling gone must be the wine - but it's good after the long drive from Bisley.