CF Handguns?

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Browning_grrl

CF Handguns?

#1 Post by Browning_grrl »

Someone made a post on another thread I started in which I mentioned CF handguns, which seemed to negatively comment on the situation re: CF handguns in the UK. So, since I am completely ignorant of the situation there (other than that you seem to be regulated to death...), what is the situation on CF handguns over there? e.g. would my Blackhawk .357 be legal there?? Thanks. :)
BamBam

Re: CF Handguns?

#2 Post by BamBam »

The shortest breech loading firearm we can own is 24" Overall Length, 12" of which must be the barrel. So your .357 Blackhawk would need either a 12" barrel and a length of extending rod to comply or have an 18" barrel.

Like these.

saddler

#3 Post by saddler »

No automatics aside from .22
Revolvers & single shot only
BOTH MUST COMPLY WITH 12" MIN. BARREL & 24" MIN. OVERALL LENGTH RULES

Muzzle loading revolvers are allowed in original configuration: these are also now made in Nitro format.
Cartridge conversion cylinders not allowed
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#4 Post by dodgyrog »

Load of nonsense eh!
The criminal element do not comply, of course!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
DavidRees
Home club or Range: JSPC; Tayside; NRA

#5 Post by DavidRees »

We are not permitted firearms with barrels less than 12" (30cm) in length, and the overall gun must be 24" (60cm) or more in length. True for centrefire, smallbore, single- or multi-shot. It's been that way since 1998, following legislation introduced in the wake of the Dunblane massacre. So your Blackhawk .357 would not be allowed for target-shooting purposes here. Note that this applies to mainland Britain (England, Scotland, Wales) but not to Northern Ireland, or certain crown possessions such as the Isle of Man and Jersey, where pistols are still permitted for target shooting.

Despite the passage of years, many of us still yearn/hope for the return of pistols, at the least .22, though the chances are currently relatively low. All is not lost, however...

...the confiscation of our pistols resulted in many of us moving over to gallery rifles, such as the Marlin 1894, in pistol calibres (we had the reloading kit, you see!) We have adapted many of our pistol competitions for use by such guns, and "gallery rifle" is a growing discipline in mainland UK, and elsewhere in Europe too. Take a look at http://www.galleryrifle.com if you wish to see the sort of events we compete in now.

We do now have access to semi-auto .22 pistols, and revolvers, which conform to the 12/24 rule - they are called long-barreled pistols (LBPs) and long-barreled revolvers (LBRs), though the choice of manufacturer is limited, and no substitute for what we once enjoyed. However, these are now becoming more common as the gallery rifle competitions can also be shot with them.

Next time you are at the range with your Blackhawk, put a few extra rounds down on behalf of your shooting buddies over the pond here...we're with you in spirit!

David.
ordnance

#6 Post by ordnance »

That depends where you live in the UK, your Blackhawk .357 would be legal here. If of course you have it on your FAC. I see these for sale on the Ulster Rifle Association web site.
http://www.ura-ni.com/
Browning_grrl

#7 Post by Browning_grrl »

Wow.... just wow....... :o I think my head might explode........

First off, how do you shoot a revolver with that barrel length?? Use a bi-pod or something????? ;) Seriously the balance problem must be something fierce - I doubt I could handle one, really.

So, with this 'gallery' stuff, is it all static, firing-line stuff? Do you folks do any action-type shooting or 3-gun comps or Cowboy Action shoots - stuff like that??

What about stuff like a mare's leg which I think would theoretically fit the overall 24" rule and the 12" barrel rule? Can you use those??

Sorry for all the questions... inquiring minds want to know these things..... :)
BamBam

#8 Post by BamBam »

Browning_grrl wrote: Do you folks do any action-type shooting or 3-gun comps or Cowboy Action shoots - stuff like that??
Practical shotgun and multigun is popular, there's some cowboy action shooting with black powder revolvers, lever action Winchesters and coach guns.

Browning_grrl

#9 Post by Browning_grrl »

BamBam wrote:........ lever action Winchesters........

Cool. But, Winchesters?? Really??? :bad: ;)

ordnance

#10 Post by ordnance »

would my Blackhawk .357 be legal there?? Thanks.
It has being pointed out that your .357 would be legal in part of the UK You choose to ignore that. Are you just looking to post look what we can get. The law is what it is some have to make the best of a bad situation.